Help with Dating my Belgium Antwerp Silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ross81

Help with Dating my Belgium Antwerp Silver

Post by Ross81 »

Hi,

First time for posting on this forum after joining today so please bare with me or correct me if I've done anything wrong.

I have this lovely pair of Solid Silver Belgium Antwerp Silver items, sadly I don't know what they are but maybe a pair of sauce boats ?
I've finally found out today that the Crown over Hand stamp is Belgium Antwerp which I think dates from 1500 to late 1700s but obviously the hand and crown slightly change over the years.
I'm unsure what the other two hallmarks mean, The small square hallmark has a dogs/wolfs head facing to the side and the other looks like a sort of scout symbol.

From the website hallmarkwiki the crown over hand seems to look like the year 1606-1607 but someone on Facebook has kindly said that's to early for the shape of my items and pointed me in the direction of this great website and forum.

Can anyone help me with what these are ?
Correct age and maker possibly ?

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

The size of these items are 13.5 cm wide handle to handle
and height 8.5cm to top of handles.
These are a matching pair.

All help will be appreciated thank you.
Kind Regards
Ross

Image Image

Image Image
Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Help with Dating my Belgium Antwerp Silver

Post by Sasropakis »

Those are most likely salts and the earliest date based on the style is somewhere in the late 18th century. The crowned hand looks like Antwerp but someone else can probably give more exact information. The photos could be a bit higher resolution as it's quite difficult to see the smallest hallmark. And it's forbidden to discuss value here.
trevorg
contributor

Re: Help with Dating my Belgium Antwerp Silver

Post by trevorg »

I agree that most likely late 18th century and my thoughts are possibly French, probably provincial. Montpellier? Blakstone is a more informed authority on this.
Trevor

Return to “Other Countries”