Austrian JCK Brush with Habsburg armories of Ferdinand I

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
numis.geneve

Austrian JCK Brush with Habsburg armories of Ferdinand I

Post by numis.geneve »

Here is an Austro-Hungarian Brush made by JCK with what I think are personal armories of Ferdinand I of Austria,did it come from the royal palace in Vienna?
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: Austrian JCK Brush with Habsburg armories of Ferdinand I

Post by WarrenKundis »

Interestingly enough this does appear to be the coat of arms of H.I. & R.H. the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Este who was assassinated in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914. Whether you can actually tie this brush to his person and/or the Imperial family is going to be the real challenge.

Good luck in your search.
Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Dukes of Hohenberg - House of Hohenberg
Countess Sophia Chotek

http://www.almanachdegotha.org/id112.html

This is the site where I viewed the coat of arms, it touches somewhat on the issues surrounding Sophia's marriage to Franz Ferdinand. Give you some idea how complex it became for the family.

Warren
numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

Thank you Warren, I've seen this site it is very good.but if you look the Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria had the same coat of arms or at least very similar, he lived until 1875 although he stopped being emperor in 1845. Could this brush predate 1875? If not it is definitely Franz Ferdinand
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

It does appear late 19th early 20th century to me but let's see what the identification of the makers mark can tell us.

W
numis.geneve

Post by numis.geneve »

... The maker was J C Klinkosch of Vienna. The firm was purveyor to the court in Vienna!.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

And the small mark next to the 800, have you identified it? What about the timeline of this firm and the period of their royal warrant to the House of Austria?

W
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

Should point out that Klinkosch silver to the court was marked with the eagle. I don't see it here. Is there another mark somewhere?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It`s difficult to assign the item to a particular member of Habsburg family. There were many Archdukes born mid 19th century when JC Klinkosch worked. They had wives, daughters etc. And not only in Austria. Compare with Duchy of Modena (Ducato di Modena e Reggio) House of Habsburg-Este
http://www.almanachdegotha.org/id128.html
I have cut glass set with Habsburg coat of arms engraved; not very likely it comes from Schönbrunn Palace.
The coat of arms shown here is stamped. One does not make dies for a couple of items.JC Klinkosch must have had a considerable order from Habsburgs, whatever family it was.
Regards

Return to “Other Countries”