Vienna tray, maker W&C?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

Vienna tray, maker W&C?

Post by AG2012 »

Oval tray with mounted fruitwood base; 24 inches, 47 oz (without wood).
Dianakopf mark with ``A`` and ``3`` for 0.800.
Maker W&C ?
Thanks for looking.
joris
contributor

Re: Vienna tray, maker W&C?

Post by joris »

It looks as though my response vanished, so we'll try again: This will be Würbel & Czokally (Karl Würbel and Anton Czokally). Würbel became a partner in the firm in 1892, and Czokally retired in 1900, which may help date the piece (although Würbel might have continued to use the stamp for some time afterwards.) The style of the piece seems to be consistent with the eighteen-nineties, I would think.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Vienna tray, maker W&C?

Post by AG2012 »

Thanks a lot;you are so right about the style,too.Actually,when I removed wood for cleaning I found an old paper written in ink with this name,you know, that old German Frakturschrift handwriting.It was not properly cleaned for 100 years.The idea with wood was excellent;the tray is very stable and strong and besides,wood protrudes a few millimeters out of silver and when placed on French polished furniture would not scratch it, not to mention if something hot is placed on it.But one must take care not to displace small screws when cleaning it - but I did it once and will not do it again.Probably in 100 years or so.Thank you again.

Return to “Other Countries”