Strange Hallmark. Australian? Somewhere else?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bstaunto
contributor

Strange Hallmark. Australian? Somewhere else?

Post by bstaunto »

Hi there,

I got this serviette ring just recently. I can't find anything similar to these hallmarks in any of my reference books. I bought it in England, labelled as Australian.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks in advance,

Ben
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ben,

Although we often associate the 'STG' mark with Australian pieces, I have seen that set of marks before, attributed to South Africa. However I have never seen anything concrete to back this up, so I offer it only as another possibility.

Regards Trev.
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Thanks Trev. If I can find out anything, I'll post it here.
antman5757

Re: Strange Hallmark. Australian? Somewhere else?

Post by antman5757 »

bstaunto wrote:Hi there, i am 99% certain that this is NOT an australain hallmark. I am unable to offer a country of origin yet am sure it isnt an Aussie piece.

I got this serviette ring just recently. I can't find anything similar to these hallmarks in any of my reference books. I bought it in England, labelled as Australian.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks in advance,

Ben
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Ben. Your napkin ring is definitely South African. The mark of on the left was used by a Durban silversmith working in the 50s and 60s, unfortunately his name slips my mind at present, but I will find out. The marks was supposed to represent Dick King, the boy who rode some 900km from Durban to Grahamstown in the 1840s to alert the British authorities that the garrison at Durban, then Port Natal, was under siege by the Boers. The third mark is probably the springbok head, often used on South African silver in much the same way as the lion passant on English. I may even have a couple of his napkin rings in a drawer somewhere. Will get back to you. Regards Frank
bstaunto
contributor

Post by bstaunto »

Thanks Frank. Sorry about the delay, I must have unchecked the notify me when a reply is posted box. Its great to know where it came from...even if its not Australian and its actually from our Rugby rivals. :-P
rat-tail wrote:Hi Ben. Your napkin ring is definitely South African. The mark of on the left was used by a Durban silversmith working in the 50s and 60s, unfortunately his name slips my mind at present, but I will find out. The marks was supposed to represent Dick King, the boy who rode some 900km from Durban to Grahamstown in the 1840s to alert the British authorities that the garrison at Durban, then Port Natal, was under siege by the Boers. The third mark is probably the springbok head, often used on South African silver in much the same way as the lion passant on English. I may even have a couple of his napkin rings in a drawer somewhere. Will get back to you. Regards Frank
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Ben - yes well done on the rugby last weekend. You guys have a good young team that's developing in leaps and bounds and should be ready for the real assault in 2011. As to the silversmith, did chat to the friend who told me about the Dick King mark, unfortunately he doesn't remember the name either - he's a good age. Sorry about that. Keep well - Frank

Return to “Other Countries”