Salt Spoon with Fleur-de-Lis mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Granmaa
co-admin

Salt Spoon with Fleur-de-Lis mark

Post by Granmaa »

Does anyone recognize this fleur-de-lis mark found on a salt spoon. Possibly c.1900 and perhaps Italian.

Miles

Image Image
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Salt Spoon with Fleur-de-Lis mark

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, a bit of research and a hunch has brought me to this notice board and chasing the fleur de lis has got me to this post.
You know what they say if you wait long enough at a bus stop then 2 buses will always come along together. Well is this the first bus?

Lets hope when the 2nd one when does come it carries more information.
My set of 2 marks comes in the bowl of what appears to be a vintage souvenir spoon from the “Alpine” area of Europe. It has the twist stem similar to the salt spoon. The finial appears to be a rampant “ibex”, the wild long horned goat native of the vast cross borders Alpine region. I will add that in fact the Piedmont region of Northern Italy has had a long established (mid 19th century) nature reserve for the Ibex. Now less nature and back to something I know nothing about: international silver marks. That is, if the marks on my spoon are silver marks and not silver plate marks. I say this because although the 800 is in an oval punch is seen in some Italian fineness marks I wonder if the number is possibly 8.00 to indicate plate quality? Also the close up picture of the spoon’s bowl does not seem a smooth layer and this makes me think of silver plate. Of course I have been wrong many times before.
Still more discussion is good for the brain, so are there any more opinions? Lets hope we don’t have to wait a further 6 years for another one.

Yours
Fishless

Return to “Other Countries”