french 1760?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gardoni

french 1760?

Post by gardoni »

hi
in my opinion this is a french silver of 1760 made in Paris, but I don't the marker's mark.
ImageImage
I'd like know the marker's mark and yours opinion about the authenticity of te mark...
thank you in advance!
charles-edwards

Re: french trash 1760?

Post by charles-edwards »

hi there - this piece in definetly german - bearing so calles pseudo marks - was made in hanau about 1890 - greetings, CE
gardoni

Post by gardoni »

sorry but I do not know speak very good English and I have called "trash" a piece which I believe is anything but trash, consulting the book of French marks, trademarks are of 1760. What makes you suppose that has been done in Hanau?

I await answers
gardoni

Post by gardoni »

I ask you, is not to be insistent, but I consider very much this silver and I'd know more aboute it ... refer to the "tardy" please, do it for the only Italian in this forum xD xD
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Gardoni,

French silver marks are not a strong point of mine, so assuming that they are genuine and not Hanau reproductions (they look OK to me) they would interprete as follows:

The Crowned "A" is the Charge mark for large silver pieces for the period 1st October 1756 until 30th September 1762. The mark is that of Eloy Brichard.

The Crowned "V" is the Warden's Date mark for the period 12th July 1760 until 14th July 1761.

The Shell mark is the Discharge mark for gold and small silver pieces for the same period as the Crowned "A" Charge mark.

That just leaves the maker's mark which I cannot help you with. The "JC" would have been the Forename with the "V" the Surname, the likelihood is that the "JC" stands for either Jean-Charles or Jean-Claude, the most popular "JC"'s at the time, so maybe that will narrow down your search.
One thing that I find odd is that the Charge mark is for large items whilst the Discharge mark is for small pieces.
Like I said, I'm no expert on French marks, and am quite happy to be shot down in flames on this one, but hopefully it will prompt further discussion.

Regards Trev.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Gardoni.

I'm not an expert in French silver either. Just wanted to add some information.

Believe the crowned A mark was used with both small and large works.
Your crowned "V" mark (Maison commune) was used on small items from July 12, 1760 to July 15, 1761.
The letter under the crown for large items would have been in script form.
The shell discharge mark was used from October 1756 to November 1762.

Everything looks correct to me for authentic French marks.
Sorry, can't find who used that maker's mark.

Here's some pictures from my books to show how drawings of the crowned A mark sometimes differ:

Pat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My knowledge of 18th century French silver is, to say the least, weak. That said, both the piece and marks feel somehow wrong to me. I lean towards charles-edwards opinion that it is a later reproduction and probably German.
Hopefully, I am wrong and we will hear from others who have more experience in this area.

Regards, Tom
gardoni

Post by gardoni »

thank you very very much
thanks obliged
2209patrick and dognose are great and fantastic
gardoni

Post by gardoni »

thank you Admin
I wait for your news

Return to “Other Countries”