Richard Morson of St Bride’s Fleet Street parish married Elizabeth Grace at St Leonard and St Mary, Bromley in 1763.
A document relating to the Non-Conformist registration in 1765 of the birth of their son John at Dr Williams Library, Red Cross Street shows he was born in St Gregory by St Paul’s parish. Similar registrations show their daughters Sarah and Hannah and son Richard were born in Christ Church, Newgate Street parish in 1766, 1769 and 1768 respectively. The 1768 records show Richard’s father as a goldsmith. Similar records in 1770 and 1773 show their daughters Elizabeth and Rebecca were born in Ludgate Hill.
Robert, the son of Israel Devonshire a goldsmith from Shoreditch, signed indentures in 1789 to be his apprentice at Giltspur Street. Robert was the brother of Richard (Grimwade p.491) and Thomas Devonshire (Grimwade p.491).
The indentures of 1789 show he agreed to teach Robert Devonshire the production of French plate. Grimwade observed that Morson gave evidence to a Committee of 1770 as to his difficulties in distinguishing between Sheffield plate and silver marks so it seems plated wares were his speciality.
Grimwade also noted that Richard Morson died between 1802 and 1811. He may have moved from Ludgate Hill to Reading. The Will of Richard Morson, Goldsmith late of Reading, was proved for probate on 2nd August 1805 (National Archives reference PROB 11/1430/7). If this is the case he had already moved to Reading by 1802 when the London Poll Book for that year listed him there but entitled to vote in respect of his freehold of property in Panton Street, St Martin in the Fields.