TATUM, John junior (Grimwade p.677)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

TATUM, John junior (Grimwade p.677)

Post by MCB »

Born 1772.
Christening record for St Luke, Old Street dated 28th June 1772. Father John.
Possibly died 1818.
London Deaths & Burials Index for St Marylebone register dated 19th October 1818 of a John Tapley aged about 44 years; last address St Marylebone.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: TATUM, John junior (Grimwade p.677)

Post by dognose »

...........This institution was principally projected by me, and arose in some measure from a smaller one of a similar description, to which I had given my best assistance–the City Philosophical Society, the meetings of which were held in Dorset street, Salisbury-square, at the house of an extraordinary man, who I believe is not now living, Mr. John Tatum. He was a mechanic, a manufacturer of silver table spoons and forks, and quite unlettered; yet in the possession of a naturally powerful and vigorous mind, he devoted it to the consideration of subjects of natural and experimental philosophy. He possessed a very extensive collection of apparatus of every kind for philosophical purposes, chiefly made by himself, and was one of the best manipulators I ever beheld. His experiments were well arranged, and seldom failed in their effect. His explanations were lucid, but conveyed with a pronunciation which at times was perfectly ludicrous. At his rooms, among other persons who afterwards distinguished themselves in science, was the present highly gifted Dr. Faraday, professor at the Royal Institution...........

Source: Medical Portrait Gallery: Biographical Memoirs of the Most Celebrated Physicians, Surgeons, etc., etc., Who Have Contributed to the Advancement of Medical Science - Volume 4 - Thomas Joseph Pettigrew - 1840
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Recorded as a Gold and Silversmith of 53, Dorset Street, Salisbury Square.

Source: Johnstone's London Commercial Guide - Corrected to 31st August 1817 - Andrew Johnstone - 1818
silverly

Post by silverly »

February - August 1793 John son of John Tatum Goldsmith of London made free by patrimony in the Company of Goldsmiths. The elder John Tatum was made free in 1768 and his son John was born in 1772.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”