HART, Naphtali (Grimwade p.538)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

buckler

HART, Naphtali (Grimwade p.538)

Post by buckler »

10 January 1798 The Proceedings of the Old Bailey Ref: t17980110-48

John Davis was indicted for feloniously stealing, on the 3d of October 1797, 72 silver tablespoons, value £60, 36 silver desert spoons, value £18, 72 silver four pronged forks, value £60. and 18 pair of silver shoe-buckles, value £18, the property of David Scott, William Fairley, and William Lennox, in a certain vessel, called a hoy, belonging to the East-India Company, upon the navigable River Thames.

DUNCAN URQUHART sworn.
- I am a silversmith, on Clerkenwell-green; I have a partner of the name of Hart

Q. Were you employed by the prosecutors to make any plate for them?

A. Yes, I was; Messrs. Scott and Company, 6 dozen of forks, 6 dozen of tablespoons, 3 dozen of desert-spoons, 24 pair of silver buckles, 6 dozen of tea-spoons, and 12 punchladles; I packed them up myself, and nailed the box up myself, and corded it; I marked it, H. M. 693; I left the box at home with my partner, Mr. Hart, and went down to the Custom-house, to make my entry

NAPTHALI HART sworn. - . I am partner with Mr.Urquhart, he was out of town from before the 6th of July to the 18th of
August: These were made by us for Messrs. Scott and Company.
buckler

Re: HART, Naphtali (Grimwade p.538)

Post by buckler »

Mike has found the will of Mr Hart
NAPTHALI (note the spelling) Hart late of South Street, Finsbury Square: Will proved 11th November 1834 at PCC ( TNA/PROB 11/1838/299).
Being Jewish it seems unusual having to prove the will at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, but if he had Government stocks etc presumably probate would be required to transfer them to another owner.
silverly

Post by silverly »

1 April 1790 Naphtali Hart Little Minories London watch finisher paid apprentice indenture duty for Hyam Aaron.
silverly

Post by silverly »

6 February 1843 John Napthali Hart of 77 Cornhill Watch & Clock Maker son of Napthali Hart late of Kings Street Finsbury Square deceased admitted to the freedom of the Company of Clock-Makers by redemption.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The below report is either a strange coincidence, or may cast new light on the demise of Naphtali Hart. It seems unlikely to me that there were two Naphtali/Naphthali Hart's living in Islington (Finsbury Square is in Islington), both wealthy and both of a perhaps similar age, at the same time. Not impossible, but perhaps unlikely?

Suicides.—On Friday afternoon, Mr. Naphthali Hart, a gentleman aged seventy, residing at Islington, committed suicide, by dividing the femoral artery with a penknife. The old gentleman studied a great deal, and laboured under the impression that he would be deprived of his sight, and of course of his favourite amusement. In the library with his surgeon, on one occasion, he said, pointing to his books, "I shall soon be shut out from those valuable treasures, and be totally unable to converse with those great men, who existed in past ages." For several days before his death he had, with the assistance of an amanuensis, written instructions to his solicitor for his will, directing that if he became deranged he should be removed to St. Luke's Lunatic Asylum, in Old-street, and that 300l. a-year should be paid to the trustees of the Institution for his support. He also left 250l. a-year to his wife and the residue of his property to be given to charitable institutions.

Source: The Spectator - 3rd January 1829

I've recorded the above here just in case any query may arise in the future.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Examples of the work and mark of Naphtali Hart:

NH - London - 1823

NH - Grimwade No.2094
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MARRIAGES

April 1, Naphtali Hart, Esq., of South-street, Finsbury, to the daughter of Stephen Hart, Esq., of Haydon-square, Minories; on which occasion a most sumptuous entertainment was given.

Source: London Evening Standard - 3rd April 1829

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”