PRATT, Thomas Boulton (Grimwade p.631)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An advertisement that was published in the Morning Herald on Friday, 6th April 1798:

SALES BY AUCTION

GUTTER LANE, NEAR GOLDSMITHS HALL

By Mr Smith, on the premises, on Thursday the 12th of April, at eleven, by order of the administratrax.

The lease and immediate possession of a valuable dwelling house, with covenient rooms, workshops and excellent cellering, desirably situated, No.20, Gutter Lane, Cheapside. Also the genteel and genuine household furniture, plate, rings, china, linen, books, fine prints, utensils and effects of Mr Thomas Boulton Pratt, Goldsmith deceased. The furniture comprises of bedsteads, with cotton furniture, and bedding, dining, card, and pembroke tables, glasses, chairs, carpets, drawers, wardrobes, working tools, various utensils, iron chest, kitchen requisites, etc. To be viewed one day previous to the sale and catalogues be had on the premises and of Mr Smith, 62, Broad Street, near the Royal Exchange.

At least we know the number of Gutter Lane, that Thomas Pratt resided, but I'm left wondering as to why his property took so long to be disposed of, as Grimwade has the date of death as 2nd December 1796.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: PRATT, Thomas Boulton (Grimwade p.631)

Post by dognose »

Links to a couple of trade cards that feature Thomas Boulton Pratt.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... _id=393863" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... _id=404895" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thomas Boulton Pratt was in partnership with William Edward Smith and Joseph Hardy (Grimwade p.536) for the period 1790-1796.

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Trev

I'm wondering if the delay in sale of the Gutter Lane property has something to do with the Will of Thomas B Pratt. Whereas there is usually easy access through web-sites to the UK Extract of Probate this Will doesn't show up. Perhaps there wasn't one although why this should be with property and a family involved I can't imagine but this would make life difficult for the executors.
Other information which was found:
He married Elizabeth Copland (born 1749) the daughter of Henry & Elizabeth at St Anne & St Agnes Gresham Street on 27th May 1769.
Son Thomas was born 23rd May 1770, son James born 11th May 1773 and another son Robert born 26th November 1774. All were christened at the marital church. Nothing was found for the other son John named by Grimwade.
Pratt's burial was recorded on the other side of the Thames from the City at St Giles Camberwell on 10th December 1796.
Regards
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for posting this information. His burial in Camberwell is perhaps an indicator of his families origin.

Regards Trev.
ejp

Post by ejp »

I know this reply is almost 10 years after the original post, but in case anyone is interested:

Thomas Boulton Pratt was the nephew of Thomas Boulton, who was also a goldsmith. Thomas Boulton died with no heirs in 1739, and in his will, he made a bequest to his nephew Thomas Boulton Pratt. Thomas Boulton Pratt's father was a gardener in Wiltshire, so this must have been quite a change in their fortunes.

Thomas Boulton Pratt married Elizabeth Copland, whose father was Henry Copland, a goldsmith/engraver (1710-1754; he is mentioned in Wikipedia).

Thomas Boulton Pratt had an affair with one of his domestic staff, Elizabeth Matthews, and fathered five children with her. When he died, Elizabeth Matthews and her children made a claim on the estate. This ended up in litigation in the Chancery Court, with an unknown resolution (it seems likely that their claim failed0. So the sale of the assets may have been related to the legal dispute.

Thomas Boulton Pratt's son, John Pratt (1775-1837), was apprenticed to him in 1790. There is a notice in the London Gazette that John took over the partnership he had with Thomas Boulton Pratt 3 months before his father's death in December 1796. Unfortunately, I can't find any details on John Pratt, his hallmarks etc. I would be interested to know more about him, as they are my decedents.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi ejp,

Welcome to the Forum.

Many thanks for adding this additional information, it's very much appreciated.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

17 January 1753 John Payne London Goldsmith paid apprentice indenture duty for Thomas Boulton Pratt. (Don't have my Grimwade's with me at the moment to see if John Payne is in there.)
ejp

Post by ejp »

Thanks Trev.

I should mention that Thomas Boulton Pratt's wife had died, so his relationship with Elizabeth Matthews was probably more one of a common law wife.

--

In Thomas Boulton's will, 1739, he wrote:

"I give and bequeath unto my two most esteemed friends and intimate acquaintances Wilmer Markott and Humphry Payne both Citizens and Goldsmiths of London the summe of twenty Guineas apiece for the trouble they may have either as my Trustees...

...Then I give and bequeath to the Company of Goldsmiths London (of whom I am a Member) the summe of four hundred pounds upon condition that they pay yearly for ever in consideration thereof to the poor widows of deceased Members of that Company to be appointed by the Court of Assistants of the said Company being objects of Charity and Compassion the summe of five pounds each towards their relief and support and expend three pounds for a dinner for the Wardens and a convenient number of the assistants yearly on the Eighth day of November and pay to the Clerk one Guinea for his trouble in calling them together and attending on the occasion."

Wilmer Markott (Marcotte?) doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.
John Payne and Humphry Payne might be related perhaps.
I don't know how long the annual dinner ran for.
ejp

Post by ejp »

FYI If anyone is interested in the silver/goldsmiths working in Cheapside, this book may be of interest: The Mercers' Hall by Jean Imray
Online version: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... =2up&seq=6
ejp

Post by ejp »

And Thomas B Pratt's wife, Elizabeth Copland (1749-88) had at least one engraver apprenticed under her own name (5 Jul 1770 - Henry Taylor).
Source: Register of Duties Paid for Apprentices' Indentures, 1710-1811/Ancestry.

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”