Assistance Please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JLDoggett
co-admin

Assistance Please

Post by JLDoggett »

A small cup that tests to 800/1000, marked on the loop handle with Minerva with the small o for coin nd a makers mark in lozenge of E\/E or O\/E hard to tell, they stamped on the round wire of the handle. The 2 couns in the base have the interior coin inset into the obverse of the coin showing on the underside. The interior coin has been stamped with a small cartouche (almost erased) 2ARGENT, last picture. The body of the item is 3.25" across X 7/8" from table to lip. The wear on the interior is from it having been used as an ashtray (we won't go there). Any light that can be shed would be greatly appreciated.

Second question. Does anyone know of an online site with French maker's marks?

Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Perhabs its my english- so it might be me that dont understand your text. But you do not write the word sommelier cup. But that is what it is.
The plate of the handle is for the finger it has nothing to do with an ashtray.
Argent is silver.

Sorry but I cannot help with identyfying the maker.
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

Otherwise known as a tastevin.
An outline of French marks is given on site at http://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I am hoping that someone recognises the makers mark which would help me date the piece. All I know is that it was made after 1838 and prior to 1945 when the last owner acquired it.

Hose_dk I assumed it was a sommelier's tastevin, the pervious owner used it as an ashtry. I have an English chain from the 1860's that I think may have been worn with it (a very heavy chain of almost a meter in length).

Does anyone know when they were most likely to have been used? I am trying to get a possible date on it to decide if I shall keep it or find a new home for it. It would be great to find a site with French maker's makes as complete as the English and American makes listed on this site.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

When you find an internet page with french marks please inform me. Or in other words it does not excist.
The chain should be very long as this cup was hanging down to his stomack.

To use it as an ashtray is a good solution - I say how often do we use a cup for wine? As we can see no harme done by that use :-)
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Can you perhaps post a better picture of the marks? To find the maker would require being sure of the initials and the symbol between them.

~Cheryl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/inventai/patrimoine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In "Auteurs" choose recherche par auteurs (alphabetique)
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Thank you Admin, I have bookmarked that site and will explore it, merci.

Cheryl, that is as close a picture as my digital cemera will take the mark is tiny, it appears to be either E\/E or O\/E with the \/ section being a raised shape like an open parachute. Under 10X loupe it is hard to tell of the first letter is an E or and O (an O if the stamp had a small crack in the center would look like an E). I will search the site the Admin offered and report back what I find out.

As for its use as an ashtray, the silversmith in me cringes at that idea. The previous owner snuffed his cigars out on the face of the interior coin all but erasing the design.

I do wonder what the interior stamping was for, or if being on a coin it needed a seperate assay at some point. Points to ponder.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I found this "Elisa Egalon, a Parisian jeweler in business at 14 rue Rambuteau, beginning 19 July 1889." the device between the 2 letters being a corperal's braid (though most detail is lost, I put it under my 20x diamond loupe, which showed the bottom edges to be finely scalloped, as in the twist of rope or braid). Thanks for all who gave input.

Return to “French Silver”