Salt cellar from 1809-1819. Who's maker 'CMG'?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MLF
contributor

Salt cellar from 1809-1819. Who's maker 'CMG'?

Post by MLF »

I recently acquired this salt sellar. It is 2 1/4" tall and 2 7/8" wide. The clear crystal insert appears to be original (?).
Image Image

One of the legs bears the monogram 'DC' or 'DAC':

To my surprise (though I must admit I'm not very familiar with French silver), the piece appears to be older than I first thought. The rooster with a '1' in the plate corresponds to the Paris .950 standard between 1809 and 1819:

On the other side of the cellar is a lady's head (Marianne?), corresponding to the Paris silver guarantee for 'medium objects' in that same period:

But who is maker 'CMG'? The lozenge has some symbol (a torch? a sheaf?? perhaps a fleur-de-lys???) above the letters that I've seen on other French pieces. The stamp is close to the rooster, but upside down (I've rotated the picture for your convenience):

As usual, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes

Mikael
Margaux
contributor

Post by Margaux »

The silversmith is Charles-Marie Guidée worked in Paris from 1801
MLF
contributor

Post by MLF »

Wow, that was fast - thanks ever so much!

Mikael
jgl
contributor

CMG

Post by jgl »

i prefer C.M. Granger, 1810, CMG, un ??? et une rose au-dessus (?), 16 rue Harlay du Palais (1811), 34 quai des orfèvres (1814), Paris.

MLF
contributor

Re: Salt cellar from 1809-1819. Who's maker 'CMG'?

Post by MLF »

Hello Forum,

My previous image host suddenly disappeared, so here are fresh links to the images:

The salt sellar measures 2 1/4" tall and 2 7/8" wide. The clear crystal insert appears to be the original.

The rooster with a '1' in the plate corresponds to the Paris .950 standard between 1809 and 1819:

On the other side of the cellar is Minerva, corresponding to the Paris silver guarantee for 'medium objects' in that same period:

Maker's mark 'CMG'. The stamp is close to the rooster, but upside down (rotated for your convenience):

Kind regards

Mikael

Return to “French Silver”