French tastevin. Angers, 1759-1761?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jaume

French tastevin. Angers, 1759-1761?

Post by jaume »

Hello to everyone again,

I have recently acquired this tastevin to incorporate into my collection and I am concluding its cataloging. I realize that they are a type of objects with abundant reproductions and false hallmarks in some cases (especially the productions that imitate those of Rouen or those that contain patronymics with dates from the 18th century) and I have confirmed it in the comments of some of your topics.

As you will see, it is a very simple model, with some imperfections but I think there is no doubt as to its authenticity.

As for the hallmarks, I seem to see the following:

- Community of silversmiths of Angers (Maine-et-Loire) for 1759-1760, O crowned?

- Charge: AN/GE/RS (maybe crowned too) for 1756-1762?

- Décharge: dog head (tête de chien) for 1756-1762?

And finally, the always more complex to identify...

- Orfevre hallmark. I see a crowned key with its foot facing left (heraldic symbol of Angers) and to its left a capital M. To its right is an indistinguishable capital letter and below it a point, grain de remède or badly beaten star (the symbol or le different)

I have some idea about it but I would like you to give me your opinion. I don't have the possibility to consult "Les orfèvres d'Anjou et du Bas Maine" by Monique Jacob.

Thanks again for your patience

Regards

Jaume
blakstone
contributor

Re: French tastevin. Angers, 1759-1761?

Post by blakstone »

Jacob's Orfevres d'Anjou et du Bas Maine agrees with your interpretation of the marks. The maker is Michel Boisnier II (1709-1762), master 1736. The mark is "MB" with a key, a star below the "B".
jaume

Post by jaume »

Hello,

Thank you Blakstone for your time and information.

I do not have Jacob's Orfevres d'Anjou et du Bas Maine. I have compared silver hallmarks of various pieces from Angers, and finally I have found a pair of candlesticks from 1748-1749 by the aforementioned silversmith with two orfèvre hallmarks, one clear and the other feeble. Look at them:

I think there is almost no doubt about the maker. Michel Boesnier / Boisnier is a prolific silversmith. I have located objects of the years 1738, 1742, 1753, 1755 and 1759.

To whom it may concern, I have located his baptism in Angers, Saint Maurice on January 27, 1707, son of also silversmith Michel Boesnier (I) and Marguerite Renaul. He married Renée Jamet and died in Angers on September 5, 1762.

If anyone has images of the Jacob's Orfevres d'Anjou et du Bas Maine page corresponding to this silversmith, I would appreciate posting the image.

Regards and thanks again.

Jaume
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

jaume

Post by jaume »

Hello to everyone,

And thanks to Blakstone. I really appreciate your help and the provided documents that are very useful.

Regards

Jaume
Nicholas M

Post by Nicholas M »

Hello Jaume,
I have a tastevin bought at a major U.K. auction house, and catalogued as Angers 1762. It has exactly the same date letter O with the same crown over the O as yours. On the handle and the bowl.
However, I see Christie’s sold one some years ago, catalogued as Angers 1762, but showing the date letter as Y, again with exactly the same crown over it.
I am not at all an expert in French silver hallmarks, but I wondered if you could clarify this above date letter disparity for me.
Also, on mine the makers punch mark on the handle and the bowl is LC with shepherd’s crook and crown, and I wondered if you knew who this is?
And, finally, mine has a scorpion or weevil in a punch mark on the handle - do you know what this represents?
Will much appreciate any help you can offer.
Nick.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic with images of the item and the marks.

Trev.
jaume

Post by jaume »

Hi Nick,

If your tastevin has the same date letter O with crown over it, as we talk, it corresponds to Community of silversmiths of Angers (Maine-et-Loire) for 1759-1760. The crowned Y initially matches with 1768.

But as commented by Trev., please start a new topic with images of the item and the marks to analize them we all together.

Regards

Jaume

Return to “French Silver”