Help to Identify French Maker on Buckle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Help to Identify French Maker on Buckle

Post by dartsil »

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can identify this maker on a belt buckle, as per usual the French marks are so tiny they always prove difficult to capture.

This is as good as I can get, one of the letters appears to be the letter N.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Colin

JayT
contributor

Re: Help to Identify French Maker on Buckle

Post by JayT »

Hello
This initial looks more like a Z than an N to me. Assuming that the buckle was made in Paris, based on the style I suggest you try the French Ministry of Culture website for Paris makers registered after 1875.

http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/public/mist ... 4%24%2534P

Good luck in your research!

Regards.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Thanks for your help

I think you are right with the Z, not sure though if the Z will be the first name or surname.

Regards,
Colin
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Following French marking convention the Z (if that is the initial) would be the first name, or if a partnership could be the initial of the surname. In either case, you’d look up the maker in various dictionaries and databases under Z. Example: Z, symbol, second initial.
If you clean out the mark properly, you might decipher both the symbol and second initial.
Also, before you begin to look up the maker you’d have to determine if the object was made in the provinces or in Paris by looking at the silver standard mark. If you don’t have this basic info, it would be a long and involved chase for the name of the maker.
Regards
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Thanks.

I was hoping someone may recognise, the marks are just so small I can do know more with them.

Return to “French Silver”