A very strange hallmarking, for me.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

A very strange hallmarking, for me.

Post by amena »

Hello everybody
today, in a shop, they showed me a French tea and / or coffee set with a hallmarking that left me somewhat amazed. There are four pieces: sugar bowl, milk jug and two teapots. They all carry this strange marking
on the left what appears to be the Paris gros charge 1775-1781. on the right what looks like the mark of an 18th century silversmith, but in the center is what looks like a Parisian prémier coq.
The photos I show above are not that great, but the place was very dark and I couldn't do better.
Another thing that left me a lot of doubts is that all the lids, both the hinged and the free ones, have no marking.
Could it be that Mr J B began the work in let's say 1781 and then finished it after 1798?
Or are they fake punches?
Or is there some other reason for this anomalous hallmarking.
I would also have the photo of the tea service, but it is so blurry that it is not worth publishing it.
Any opinion will be very welcome.
Thanks for your attention.
Amena
dognose
Site Admin

Re: A very strange hallmarking, for me.

Post by dognose »

Just putting the best of the marks together:

Trev.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello Amena
Yes, you’re right to be dubious about these purported French marks. I believe they are spurious, that is stamped to deceive. Here is what I don’t like:
-The stamps are shallow.
-There is no date letter mark, and no discharge mark.
-The “premier coq” mark should be in an octagonal reserve. It shouldn’t be found together with pre-Revolutionary marks, but as a sought-after mark by collectors, was thrown in for good measure.
-Placement of the marks is incorrect, and not all parts are marked.
-And finally, Nocq doesn’t list a maker with initials JB, symbol an anchor.

Hope this service did not make it into your collection.

Regards.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi jay T
Many thanks for the reply.
No, no, the service has not entered my collection. The owner asked me for an opinion, but, before to give an opinion, I wanted to ask those who know more than me.
Thank you again
Amena
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome!
arni

Post by arni »

Just wanted to add that the makers mark is supposed to be the mark of Jacques Bernier, Paris, 1781 to at least 1793. Fleur de lys Couronnée, Ancre (crowned Fleur de lys, anchor).
Please finde a reference item at the Met Museum: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/200335 where an image of the makers mark is shown as well.

Makers Mark source: E. Beuque, page 130
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Many thanks for the interesting clarification.
Indeed, in the MET plate the silversmith's mark is very worn, but it can still be seen that the outline is quite different.
And then I found a lot of interesting silvers on this site. I've been browsing it for a couple of hours.
Many thanks
Amena

Return to “French Silver”