Please help ID French silversmith marks, initials MV

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cgonzalez100

Please help ID French silversmith marks, initials MV

Post by cgonzalez100 »

Hello everyone,
I recently acquired this lovely perfume bottle with cameo glass and French silver mounts. It bears the Minerve mark for 950 silver. The mark is located on the collar and on the base. I've looked over the mark with a loop, I do not see any other symbols other than the number 1 so I think it is definitely made in Paris and not of the provinces. The maker's mark is MV with a symbol that appears to be a samovar, chocolate pot or milk pot. Some sort of pot for certain as it has a tiny spout and handle. I have looked online many times and have seen this maker on other perfume bottles, but never identified.

In fact, I have seen this silversmith's mark before on another French bottle I had and I inquired about it on this forum back in 2019. (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54517&p=173602#p173602). Sadly, there was no definite answer to who the silversmith was. It was suggested it was by Moïse Vierny. Although the initials MV are a match, his symbol was a chess piece and doesn't match the symbol on this particular mark. You can still view the images on that forum as well to get a clearer view of the silversmith mark because the intricate decoration here obscures the silversmith mark a bit.

I would greatly appreciate your help with this mysterious silversmith.

Return to “French Silver”