Silver Ciborium

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Johnny17

Silver Ciborium

Post by Johnny17 »

Hello everyone,
I have a few questions about the ciborium.
The goldsmith's mark means that it was made by Favier Frères, but on the medallion is written "Armand-Calliat". Is it possible that they worked together?
On the left side of the medal is a small monogram "LC" and on the right is probably an inscription "Reims"? What could this mean?
Is it a genuine item or a replica?
Best regards
Image Image
Image Image
gsmoggy

Re: Silver Ciborium

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Johnny
You may find it interesting,on one of my old posts,a small plated Spanish style casket,with plaque of Napoleon on lid, it has the same mark LC as on your cup.
I did not have any luck in the past identifying the mark,not sure if we will have any luck this time with the L C mark.
very interesting for me to see the mark on your cup. Good luck re other info.

images of my box and mark. not sure if engraved date is when box was made? Box is plated not silver.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Johnny
Reims is a town out of Paris. 129klm from Paris the 12th most populous city in France.( Wikipedia.)

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Johnny
You will find a lot of info online ,Re silversmiths Thomas Joseph Armand-Calliat 1822-1901. Son Joseph ,took over the business 1901 after father died until 1938.

Maybe the LC was there logo ,from the Cailliat ,Part of the name? I now believe the LC on my box is related to the maker of your cup,

unless there was another maker of medals (plaques) that was separate to this company (I feel unlikely) that supplied the plaques on your cup and my box.

Your cup looks to be made by that company ,age? These articles is what they were mainly known for.It maybe one of the later, sons pieces.
I doubt if it will be a copy ,(maybe)
Just my thoughts.

Regards Guido.
Johnny17

Post by Johnny17 »

Thanks for your message Guido.
Amazing coincidence. The markings (LC) on the medals in your box are identical.
At the base of the ciborium on the washer there is an inscription with date 24 September 1919. Maybe that it was added at a later time.

Return to “French Silver”