Dutch picture frame from the French Period?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RudolfNL

Dutch picture frame from the French Period?

Post by RudolfNL »

I have a small round picture frame.

It is probably Dutch, because there are 2 silver marks that I think I recognize.
A rooster with the number 2 = Silver content 800/1000, used in the French period. ?

Minerva to the right = Inspection office from the French period 1810-1813 ?

But there is also a mark with a dog’s head and the number 27.

Then also a flat diamond, the text of which is not recognizable.

Can anyone help me out?
Is it actually Dutch?
What are the 2 marks that I don’t recognize?
oel
co-admin

Re: Dutch picture frame from the French Period?

Post by oel »

Hi Rudolf,

Believe it to be made in France. Period 1809-1819
The French rooster for Paris introduced 1 November 1809 till August 1819 indicating fineness silver 800/000, followed by the guarantee mark for Paris

The head of a greyhound with dog collar is French and according Marc Rosenberg; Frankreich Gratis-Ubergangsstempel bei dem 1819, eingetretenen Wechel der Garantie- Marken used 16 Aug-16 Nov.1819. According Tardy; Inventory or census mark Provinces from 16th august to 16th November 1819
The number 27 could be for; 8th division North-West assay office of Brest
The mark in lozenge/flat diamont, I believe to be a French maker's mark. I will move you to the French sector for a better and 2nd opinion.

Peter.

Source; Marc Rosenberg Der Goldschmiede Merkzeigen IV.Band/Ausland und Byzanz and International hallmarks of silver collected by Tardy
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

I can add identification of the maker's mark to Oel's excellent summary:

Ambroise Louis Joseph Girardot

Born: 5 Sep 1785, son of Joseph Girardot, silver buckler & Marie Claude Chatelain
Married: 27 May 1809, Adelaide Petronille Bouchard
Died: 30 Mar 1849, Paris, 7e arr.

Girardot, like is father, was a silver buckler and registered this mark ("Girardot" with a fireman's axe below and a flame above) at the same address as his father, 37 rue Greneta on 30 May 1807. He re-registered the mark at a new address, 297 rue St. Martin, around 1814/15. There is no cancellation date given for the mark, but his is still listed at St. Martin (as a bijoutier) in 1817. He may or may not be the Girardot bijouter listed at rue Clery in 1822 and rue du Boulois in 1825, but he does appear to have left the profession at some point, being listed as a day laborer on his death record in 1849.

Ref: Arminjon I: mark #1329
RudolfNL

Post by RudolfNL »

Thank you all so much!

Return to “French Silver”