A cruet. French?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
amena
contributor

A cruet. French?

Post by amena »

Hi all.
I think I need a confirmation from some French silver expert, which is not exactly my forte.
An auction house describes this cruet
Italian silverware early 19th century. Guarantee marks for Piedmontese departments (Nice?) And of the silversmith (not identified).
As far as I know, the Socrates hallmark came into force in 1819, and on that date the kingdom of Sardinia had its own hallmarking regulations.
In my opinion the cruet is French. Is it?
Thanks for attention
Amena
blakstone
contributor

Re: A cruet. French?

Post by blakstone »

It is French, from Lyon; the maker is Louis Factory. Unfortunately, my reference has no information on him beyond the name, nor could I find any in a cursory search though available online records.

Ref: Maryannick Chalabi & Marie-Reine Jaze-Charvolin, Poincons des fabricants d'ouvrages d'or et d'argent Lyon 1798-1940 (Paris: Imprimerie Nationale, 1993), mark #953.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thanks Blackstone for the in-depth information.
I love to consult the catalogs of online auctions, because I find beautiful photos of hallmarks, and often useful information.
However, you have to be careful, since often the "experts" of auction houses are not that expert, or maybe they have to do the job too quickly.
Thanks again
Amena
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

You're welcome. As one of those "experts" at an auction house myself, I can't say that I disagree with your assessment!
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Good morning Blackstone
I am very sorry if I have offended you in some way.
As in all jobs, someone does it well, others do a sloppy work.
Your answers in this forum demonstrate beyond any doubt your competence, but, if you want to laugh, I can send you many examples of really ridiculous expertises of auction houses, even important ones.
With the utmost esteem.
Amena

Return to “French Silver”