Please help with identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Jamenzo

Please help with identification

Post by Jamenzo »

Hello, apologies if I’m in the wrong section for this cutlery but could anyone please help me identify. Many thanks in advance

blakstone
contributor

Re: Please help with identification

Post by blakstone »

Not really sure of the cutler's mark on the steel knife blades, but Nogent, Haute Marne was a very important center for knifemaking, in keeping with the maker "A. Schmitt" having a "Maison a Paris" (i.e., a store in Paris).

The marks on the silver are Paris, 1819-1838, for first standard (.950) silver, but I can't read the lozenge-shaped maker's mark. Is it clearer on any of the other pieces? (And, for that matter, are the marks the same on all the pieces?)
Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

Very exciting, thank you very much for this information. I’m away from home for the next couple of days but will add some clearer pictures on Friday/Saturday.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

It occurred to me that the mark as shown in the image is probably upside-down and is likely that of Pierre Philippe Rousseau; see his mark on the forum's index of French Maker's Marks for comparison. You can use the forum search function to find more information, as this maker has been discussed in a couple of threads.
Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

blakstone wrote:It occurred to me that the mark as shown in the image is probably upside-down and is likely that of Pierre Philippe Rousseau; see his mark on the forum's index of French Maker's Marks for comparison. You can use the forum search function to find more information, as this maker has been discussed in a couple of threads.
Dear Blakstone,

Please find attached the pictures as promised

blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Thank you for the additional images. The marks on the post-1838 second standard silver knife blades are to small or blurry for me to make out.

The marks on the 1819-1838 first standard spoons (with the vieillard) is that of Cincinnatus Lorillon, a member of the large Lorillon-Chenailler-Soufflot dynasty of Parisian flatware makers. He registered his first mark (succeeding his father Pierre Benoit Lorillon) in 1814/15, renewing it three more times over the years until it was finally cancelled in 1839, when he was succeeded by Henri-Louis Chenailler. If you use the form search function for "Lorillon", you will find more information.

Pierre Cincinnatus Lorillon

Born: ca. 1795
Married: 28 Nov 1818, Paris, to Marie Therese Vittoz (ca. 1797 – 18 Dec 1853)
Died: 31 Dec 1865, Paris, 6th arrondissement

Ref: Arminjon I, #737
Jamenzo

Post by Jamenzo »

That’s incredible. Very much appreciated, thank you.

Return to “French Silver”