French Key Holder?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
shub33

French Key Holder?

Post by shub33 »

Could anyone help me read and define the date on this mechanism? It might loop around pants as a key holder? Thanks in advance for looking.

AG2012
contributor

Re: French Key Holder?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is chatelaine decorative belt hook or clasp worn at the waist with a series of chains suspended from it.
Marks are too small foridentification.
Regards
shub33

Post by shub33 »

Thank you @ag2012, is this picture better?

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Your chatelaine was made of 800 standard silver in the French provinces between 1819-1838. You have the silver standard mark with a Greek head in a barrel shaped reserve, and the guarantee mark of a head in an oval reserve with a digit to either side of the neck, that I can’t make out on my monitor. The numbers of the guarantee mark will tell you which province. Once you have the province, you can perhaps find the maker, which is the mark in a lozenge-shaped reserve. In addition there is a personalization of engraved initials
Good luck in your research!
Regards

See the following table for French hallmarks:

https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html
shub33

Post by shub33 »

Thank you @JayT, you were so very helpful>
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure!
shub33

Post by shub33 »

One lat time to understand the markings. I apparently have a silver chatelaine key etc. holder that might loop over a belt. The markings indicate 1.) 800 standard silver (Greek head in a barrel shaped reserve), 2.) guarantee mark of a head in an oval reserve with numerals 1 and 6, can anyone tell me which Provence that would be? I haven't had luck on finding the maker indicated in the lozenge.
Perhaps, Alphonse Fouquet (without the whip crossed with an arrow mark) if it is upside down from the other marks.

blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

"16" during the 1839-1838 period was the department of Charente-Inferieure (now called Charente-Maritime), and there were two assay offices there, in La Rochelle and Saintes, the latter being distinguished by the addition a pellet or small raised dot in the mark alongside the numeral "6". The standard reference for the region - Elie Pailloux, Orfèvres et Poinçons, Poitou Angoumois Aunis Saintoige : XVIIe-XVIIIe-XIXe s. (La Rochelle: Librairie Pailloux, 1962) - does not show this mark; many of the insculpation plates evidently did not survive, and there was little interest in 19th century makers until the end of the 20th century. That said, I think the mark is indeed upside-down in the image but should read "IV" flanked by two pellets. It is definitely not Fouquet, though: in addition to working in Paris and not the Atlantic coast, he was only ten when the guarantee mark here was last used!
shub33

Post by shub33 »

Thank you @blackstone for your time and information, I really appreciate understanding the history you of your input.

Return to “French Silver”