Re: Kendall-Touron - French Knives and Forks - Maker? (with pics)

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tcloud

Post by tcloud »

I recently purchased a set of knives (12) and forks (12) in a green box, with the manufacturer on the box listed as "Kendall-Touron" and having an address of 17 Rue de la Paix, Paris.

I need help determining the (i) maker and (ii) age. Through my own research, I am comfortable that the items are silver (as opposed to silver plated). Each of the knives and forks have a Minerva which would suggest .950 silver.

The items have what appears to be either a bovine bone or ivory handle.

I have searched and searched on the Internet and simply cannot identify the Maker in the mark. It appears to be two lowercase "g" on either side of a cross. Anyone familiar with this Maker?

This is my first ever purchase of vintage silver so please forgive if I've not identified all of the info needed to respond to my above questions.

Thanks!

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello and welcome
Your images of the marks are too blurry on my monitor to be certain of anything. However, I suggest you use the search function on the top right corner of your screen with the term Touron to see some posts that might be helpful.
Regards.
tcloud

Post by tcloud »

Could not find any other helpful posts. Attached is a clearer picture of the Mark. I believe the pic is upside down...as noted in my earlier message...it appears to be lowercase "g" on each side of a cross. Any thoughts?

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Here are my thoughts, as requested.

-Sorry you didn’t find the search function helpful.

-This is a fruit set, as indicated by the silver knife blades and 3-tined forks.

-The retailer is Kendall-Touron, an upscale jeweller.

-The maker is Georges Gallois, mark registered 11 February 1908, erased 5 July 1927, working in Paris at 24 rue de la Paix. Symbol a Saint-Louis cross. See the French Ministry of Culture website for marks registered after 1878.

-Georges Gallois was the successor of a long-lasting partnership of silversmiths named Edme Parisot and Edouard Gallois, associated with the blade manufacturer Touron. All used the Saint-Louis cross as a symbol.

Regards.

Return to “French Silver”