French Hallmarks—Forks and spoons 1700s

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ohenriko

French Hallmarks—Forks and spoons 1700s

Post by ohenriko »

I got a set of 6 forks and spoons in Strasbourg France and have been trying to identify the stamps for some days with no result,

They are marked with 4 stamps:
—Crown and the french lily?
—Crown and large B and small MPL?
—Crown, a cock and something?
—Crown, something, and PM?

If anyone is able to help I would appreciate it as I am so curious. They might be the late 1700s and maybe Paris?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2scqer8407hgn ... s.png?dl=0
dognose
Site Admin

Re: French Hallmarks—Forks and spoons 1700s

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
ohenriko

Post by ohenriko »

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Thank you for your clear pictures.
Your flatware is not from Strasbourg or from Paris, but rather Montpellier.
In order, top to bottom, your 4 marks are: a random 18thC counter mark; the silver standard and date letter mark (maison commune) of a crowned B for 1729 over MPL for Montpellier; a charge mark of a crowned bird; and finally the maker Pierre Miston, initials PM with the symbol between the initials of a 2-branched olive tree (un olivier à deux branches) all under a crown with 2 pellets.
I don’t have any information about Miston other than objects made by him are in the Jourdan-Barry collection. That will be yours to discover.
It would be interesting to see pictures of the items. If they all have the same marks you’ve made a nice find.
Regards.

See: Tardy, p. 160-161 and Fuhring, Peter et al, Orfèvrerie française: la Collection Jourdan-Barry, Paris, J. Kugel, 2005, v. II, p. 77.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

P.S.
Here is info about Pierre Miston (1697-1757).
Miston was the son of a silversmith also named Pierre (1662-1721) and Jeanne Figuet. He began to work in 1724 using his father’s mark. After his father’s death, his mother gave him all his father’s tools as a wedding gift when he married Jeanne Oriol, daughter of Claude Oriol, a master surgeon, and Marie Servel. Miston had 5 children; 2 sons became silversmiths.
Miston registered his mark in 1730. Thus your flatware is from his early career.
He was head of his guild (garde) in 1740, 1744-1748, and 1751-1753.
After his death his widow continued his activity, using her widow’s mark from 4 January 1758. She died 25 March 1774, aged 78.
Hope this helps.
ohenriko

Post by ohenriko »

Thank you JayT for this wonderful information.

How you managed to get all this detailed information from just one image is incredible. I have been like a kid on Christmas eve ever since. And the mystery just tightens. Especially with you telling me it was a family business and so many shifts in makers within that same family. On closer look, I see that the monogram engravings are not a match and can single out two main ones and one odd. Now I wonder if this was maybe purchased over time but from the same workshop. Adding some more images here:
Image Image Image Image Image
ohenriko

Post by ohenriko »

Here is all:
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help. Yes, marks on silver are very informative.

The makers aren’t all from the Miston family, as you can see by their initials, which don’t end in M.

Your flatware is from different makers and different time periods. You have a mix of 18thC and 19thC. For example, the still (alambic) with 88 to either side is the mark of the Montpellier maison commune for 1788, the crowned N is a charge mark for Montpellier 1781-89, and the maker is ID, unknown to me.

The pieces were carefully collected by the same individual, who had a personalization engraved on the spatulas.

Enjoy your flatware!

Return to “French Silver”