Maker & date unclear

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Georg

Maker & date unclear

Post by Georg »

Hello everybody,

Some time ago I bought a tray (see photo below along with marks).

The seller advertised its origin as Central Europe. However, I have done some research and it appears to me that the uppermost mark to the left assignes it to Strassburg (France) and the second half of 18th century. It is backed by the fact that Imlin was a family of the Strassburg silversmiths at that time. What I do not know is when the tray was made (double B under a crown is probably a year letter), and by which member of the Imlin family.
I may speculate on this but I am new in this field so I would like to get an opinion of someone well advanced. Also, there is an intersting coat of arms I have no idea to whom it belonged.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Georg
JayT
contributor

Re: Maker & date unclear

Post by JayT »

Hello Georg
Your research is on the right track. Your plate/tray was made in Strasbourg 1750-1796 as indicated by the silver standard mark of a crowned 13. Strasbourg makers worked to the standard of 917/1000. Strasbourg didn’t use charge or discharge marks.

The crowned BB is exceptional, an innovation mentioned in the Almanach Royal in 1756 announcing a mark that corresponded to the acronym of the Strasbourg Mint, not to be confused with a crowned B date mark for 1777. It isn’t clear for how many years the crowned BB mark was used. We have a single example from after 1759 in the collection of Strasbourg’s Museum of Decorative arts, a sugar sifting spoon made by Johann-Gottfried Stahl, master 1759.

As you know, the maker of the plate was one of the members of the dynasty of Imlin silversmiths: in this case Gottfried (1701-1751), master in 1726, son of Jean Louis the elder (master 1689), brother of Jean Louis the younger (master 1719) and Jean Frédéric (master 1734). Gottfried marked IMLIN in a rectangular reserve.

The silver making business in Strasbourg was very inter-connected, and your object is a good example. Imlin apprenticed with Johan Heinrich Schaumann (master in 1707), and was elected Master of the Silversmiths’ Guild in 1740. Imlin first married Marie-Madeleine, daughter of Johann Christophe Richshoffer (master in 1707), and in a second marriage to Salomé Richshoffer, whose relationship to Marie-Madeleine is unclear. Salomé continued Imlin’s business using his mark until her death in 1786.

We can say that the crowned BB mark indicates your plate was made after 1756, therefore after Gottfried’s death, but before 1786 when his second wife died.

This is a well-made object by a prestigious maker, with an interesting mark. Nice find!

I have no idea about the engraved coat of arms, but believe it is local to the region because of the 6-pointed stars, found in many Alsatian armorials.

Regards.

See: Deux siècles d’orfèvrerie à Strasbourg, Strasbourg, Les Musées de Strasbourg, 2004, p. 108 for the BB mark, and Annexes, pp. 284-301; and Tardy, Poinçons d’argent, 20th edition, pp. 177-178.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Dear JayT,

Thank you for your response that clarified a lot.
First of all, I was wrong suspecting that double B under a crown is a date letter: it obviously is not.
It leaves us with the time frame from 1756 to 1796 (maybe a little earlier for the second),
and the name Imlin within rectangle.
However, I have done some research myself and apart from Gottfried (and its widow)
there were other Imlins that used their name within rectangle at that time period.
I have found two (maybe there are others):
Georges Frederic Imlin and his son Fransois Daniel Imlin.
As I wrote, I am not that experienced, and I do not know how to differentiate between all of them.
One last thing: as the Strassburg is close to the German French border
I thought that the 13 in the city mark corresponds to the 13 loth silver meaning 812.5/1000 proof.
Apparently, I was wrong with this regard.

Again, thank you for your very helpful response.

Kind regards,

Georg
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I thought that the 13 in the city mark corresponds to the 13 loth silver meaning 812.5/1000 proof.
Strasbourg makers worked to the standard of 917/1000.
And that is correct: 13 Loth is 812.5 used by Strasbourg silversmith in this case.
During 18th century, and earlier, there was almost simultaneous French standard marked as Roman XI (or 11) deniers and 12 grains ( 15 1/3 Loth).
Marks for both standards to compare are bellow.

Regards

Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi,

Glad to hear that I was right.
At least with this.

Regards,

G.

Return to “French Silver”