Paris silversmith ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gentianblue

Paris silversmith ID

Post by gentianblue »

Hi,
I thought I would be able to nail this one on the full interpretation of the hallmarks, but no. A rooster striding to the right with the number 1 is Paris silver standard 950, I know, for which range of years, I am not sure. The maker I cannot identify. I have of course examined the website for this info. before asking on the forum.

The object i believe is known as a french imperial coffee jug, with lid. Hallmarks on lid and body match.
I would also like to know if the jug is restorable to a reasonably unblemished state given the 2 dents visible.

Missing one photo on preview, perhaps Gb overload.

(admin photo edit)
JayT
contributor

Re: Paris silversmith ID

Post by JayT »

Hello
Your coffee pot in the Empire style was made in Paris between 1809-1819 as seen by the silver standard mark. This forum has a good table of French marks:

https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html

You don’t show the guarantee mark.

The maker is the well-known Jean-Baptiste-Claude Odiot, silversmith to Napoléon Bonaparte, descendent of a long line of French silversmiths dating back to 1690. He first registered a mark before the Revolution on 17 December 1785. The mark on your item - JCBO with the symbol of a forge bellows (soufflet de forge) - was registered in 1801, erased 7 September 1826. JBC Odiot died in 1850. At the time he marked your item he was working at 250 rue St-Honoré.

See Arminjon, v. I, no. 01592, p. 178.

The house of Odiot has had an illustrious history, and still exists today. You could spend many happy hours researching this firm.

It would be a good idea to have the dents hammered out by a competent silversmith, and a gentle polish would certainly help as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
gentianblue

Post by gentianblue »

Thank you JayT for taking the time to answer my question, and furthermore for that interesting and surprising revelation about the maker. Much appreciated.
I have attached 2 images of separate additional marks, the guarantee mark you refer to I presume is the Head , and the other seems to be an empty cartouche.
Also glad to hear that a repair is possible.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

Yes, the head of Minerva facing right in a circular reserve is the guarantee mark for medium-weight objects made in Paris from 1809-1819. So all the marks are present and in concordance. The “empty” reserve might just be a worn standard mark, depending on its placement. Otherwise I’ve no idea.

Regards.

Return to “French Silver”