French Oval Serving Platter with Bigorne

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MGArgent
contributor

French Oval Serving Platter with Bigorne

Post by MGArgent »

Hi Forum,

I am hoping to confirm the maker of this French serving platter.

The maker's mark has the letters "A D" with a bird, which I believe is for Alphonse Debain (the mark in use from 1883-1911).

What I am unsure of is the following:
  • Alphonse Dutac also used the letters "A D" with a bird (pigeon).
  • The mark is a bit different than other examples I have come across attributed to either Debain or Dutac
    • The bird is slightly different
    • The letter "A" is flat at the top instead of pointed
I think the most likely explanation is that this is a variation of Alphonse Debain's mark (please confirm).

Images of the platter:

Other maker's marks that have been attributed to both Alphonse Debain and Alphonse Dutac (I have seen both marks attributed separately to both makers because of the similarity):

AG2012
contributor

Re: French Oval Serving Platter with Bigorne

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
More similar to a pigeon of Alphonse Dutac, but really there is a difference, both in letters and the bird.
Regards
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Debain’s symbol is a woodcock (une bécasse). Although I’m a bit ornithologically challenged, my vote goes to Debain as maker of your platter. The long beak and the profile in general of your mark resembles a woodcock to me.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

P.S.
Debain was a manufacturing silversmith, with high production. This type of hollowware would be typical of his manufacture.
Dutac on the other hand was a manufacturing jeweller. While jewellers did make silver tableware, a large piece of hollowware would not likely be part of his line of goods.
I wouldn’t hesitate to attribute your object to Debain.
Hope this helps you to decide.
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

I appreciate the excellent input from you both.

Having the three marks arranged in close proximity makes for a better comparison, and I would agree that this mark doesn't really look like either of the other two.

I agree with JayT that the long beak is quite distinctive and certainly resembles that of a woodcock (perhaps even to a greater extent than the mark already attributed to Alphonse Debain).

To my mind, this must be an alternate mark of Alphonse Debain.

Thanks again.

Return to “French Silver”