18th century French Teaspoon in case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

18th century French Teaspoon in case

Post by legrandmogol »

I have recently acquired this lovely little set of 4 teaspoons. Stylistically I believe they're French, they're only marked twice. I think the set is made of 3 spoons by the same maker and 1 by a different maker. The spoons measure about 142mm long. I am not sure if they aren't by the same maker so I kept them together as that is how I received them. I am also assuming the set originally consisted of 6 spoons. I hold little hope for identification as the marks are rubbed and dating french silver with only 2 marks can be daunting but any information will be appreciated.

JayT
contributor

Re: 18th century French Teaspoon in case

Post by JayT »

Hello
Your teaspoons in the Filet Coquille or Shell Thread pattern are nicely made with a chased in thread and reinforcement around the bowl of the spoons. Are they gilt (vermeil)?
Stylistically they appear to be from Strasbourg. I’ll go out on a limb here and say several are made by one of the members of the dynasty of Imlin silversmiths: Gottfried (1701-1751), son of Jean Louis the elder (master 1689), brother of Jean Louis the younger (master 1719) and Jean Frédéric (master 1734). Gottfried marked IMLIN in a rectangular reserve. The date letter is quite obliterated.
The other mark perhaps could be that of Johann Remichius Berentz, master in 1737, assuming the initials are IRB in a rectangular reserve. Again, the date letter is not legible to me.
Hope this helps a bit.

See: Deux siècles d’orfèvrerie à Strasbourg, Strasbourg, Les Musées de Strasbourg, 2004. Annexes, pp. 284-301.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you for your response. The one spoon does indeed say Imlin but it looks to be inside of a wavy cartouche rather than a rectangle. The letter appears to be an L above it. The other spoon does say IRB on it. I believe the letter over the IRB might actually be a 13. I have tried to take better close-ups. Also, they are all gilded but much of the gilding has come off the edges

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.
I believe I nailed the silversmith attributions. The “wavy” reserve is just a function of time and/or marking on a narrow surface.
Enjoy your spoons.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

thank you once again, I had little hope of anyone figuring these out but you certainly did. I also will look into getting the book you referenced.

Return to “French Silver”