Longshot on a French Vesta Case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Longshot on a French Vesta Case

Post by dartsil »

Hi all,

This one I think will be a longshot but costs nothing to ask and maybe someone can see enough to recognise this French makers mark, Can be difficult at the best of times to make things out but this one I would say is poorly struck and a little rubbed so I can not determine any of the letters/symbols. Can anyone determine the mark, also marked with what would appear to be 2 boards head marks to the other side of lip

Thanks in advance
Colin.
JayT
contributor

Re: Longshot on a French Vesta Case

Post by JayT »

Hello
The two boar’s head marks indicate that the object was made in Paris, France after 1838 of at least 800 standard silver. There are 2 marks to indicate the object has 2 parts: the lid and the body.
As for the mark in the lozenge-shaped reserve, it indeed looks too partial on my monitor to determine the maker. You might check the French Ministry of Culture website for makers registered after 1878 to see if you can find a hit.
Good luck in your ongoing research.
Regards
bijoux.expert
contributor

Re: Longshot on a French Vesta Case

Post by bijoux.expert »

hello,

I have the cigarette case that exactly matches your case, the makers mark is very indistinct too but the last letter, on the right, is certainly a D. If you can find more partial hallmarks, maybe you can get the whole picture !

Return to “French Silver”