French Teapot and Cream Jug

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MGArgent
contributor

French Teapot and Cream Jug

Post by MGArgent »

Hi Forum,

I recently purchased a teapot and cream jug from a well known online auction site (it is currently still in transit). It was described as being a silver-plated teapot and cream jug with an unidentified JG maker's mark.

After some research, I believe I have identified the maker mark as being that of Jean Granvigne. According to a previous topic, he was active in Paris from 1868-c1889 (viewtopic.php?t=21083).

Images of the teapot and cream jug:

Tastevin attributed to Jean Granvigne with the same mark:

Yesterday, I found a nearly identical tea service which sold through a French auction house in 2013:

French auction description:
Service à thé et café en argent comprenant une théière, une cafetiere, un sucrier, un pot a lait, à motif guilloché et pointillé, frises de fleurs stylisées. anses géométriques en argent ciselé, guilloché, boulé et surmontées de fleur stylisé et feuillage. Frétels à motifs de coupe et flamme. Portent le poinçon du Maître orfèvre. Poinçon Minerve. XIXe siècle. Le plateau en métal argenté assorti. Deux anses à filets noués. Signé CHRISTOFLE. Usures, chocs. Poids total des pièces en argent: 2310 g.

English translation:
Silver tea and coffee service including a teapot, a coffee maker, a sugar bowl, a milk jug, with a guilloche and dotted pattern, friezes of stylized flowers. geometric handles in chiseled silver, guilloché, boulé and surmounted by stylized flower and foliage. Fretels with cut and flame patterns [I believe this was mistranslated and should actually read 'finials with cup and flame']. Bear the hallmark of the master silversmith. Minerva hallmark. XIXth century. The matching silver metal tray. Two handles with knotted nets. Signed CHRISTOFLE. Wear, shocks. Total weight of silver coins: 2310 g.

Considering the 'master silversmith' from the French auction is not named, I am wondering if it is likely these sets were both produced by Jean Granvigne, or there is another explanation such as this being a common/mass produced design that was replicated by several makers?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
MGArgent
contributor

Re: French Teapot and Cream Jug

Post by MGArgent »

Following up with some supplemental history that may be of interest:

The description in the online auction for the silver-plated teapot and cream jug mentioned that they were packaged in a crate with a plaque inscribed "Presented by A. Garon Duluth 1926".

After some additional sleuthing, I am presuming this to be Abe Garon, of Garon Bros. Jewelers from Duluth, Minnesota.

MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Updating that the teapot and milk/cream jug arrived earlier this week and are of a good weight at 1109g (total). They are both marked with JG and grapevine/vinestock for Jean Granvigne, but also with the French 1st standard Minerva (0.950 fineness) which was not shown in the auction listing.

I am still searching for information regarding the similarity between this set and the set sold in 2013, whether they were both made by Jean Granvigne or if there is another explanation. I will provide another update if I find anything of interest.

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Here are some comments on your teapot and milk jug:

-Yes they are by Jean Granvigne. His production is known for quality. He was a jobber/wholesaler, making silver to specification for such well-known houses as Odiot, his main customer.
-As the service that was sold earlier indicates, he also made patterns of his own design that were purchased by retailers or middlemen.
-I see no reason to think that the 2 services were not by the same maker, but to be sure you’d have to see the marks on the first service.

Good luck in your research.
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Thank you JayT, I appreciate the confirmation of Jean Granvigne and the additional information on him!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure!
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Jean Granvigne

Born: 12 Mar 1822, Bordeaux, Gironde, son of Jean Granvigne & Louise Souseleys
Married: Josephine Eugenie Peltier (Paris 1830 - 1904 Paris), daughter of Jean Baptiste Peliter & Anne Josephine gout
Died: 7 Jul 1885, Lormaye, Eure-et-Loire
Buried: Pere Lachaise, Paris
MGArgent
contributor

Post by MGArgent »

Excellent, I appreciate the follow up blakstone! This should allow for narrowing the date range of Jean Granvigne pieces to 1868-1885. Many thanks!

Return to “French Silver”