Can anyone assist on a maker for these tongs?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

Can anyone assist on a maker for these tongs?

Post by neurorocker »

Hi there,

Hoping for help on these tongs. The marks are clear enough, but I could not locate the maker.

Many thanks!
N

JayT
contributor

Re: Can anyone assist on a maker for these tongs?

Post by JayT »

Hello

Your tongs were made by François-Joseph Meresse, a buckle maker (la boucle) working in Paris at 100 rue de la Verrerie. He registered his mark FJM, symbol a fly (une mouche) in 1798. No end date is given.

See Arminjon, v. I, no. 01152, p. 142.

In addition to the maker’s mark you have the silver standard mark of a cock in an octagonal reserve for 950 silver, and a guarantee mark of a man’s head in a circular reserve, both for Paris, in use from 1798-1809. Also there is another mark that is difficult to make out to the right of the maker’s mark. Perhaps a later recount mark?

Hope this helps.

Regards.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

P.S. I now realize that the mark to the right of the maker’s mark is a silver standard mark used for 1 year in 1797. It is a wolf head in an oval reserve with the number 1 above the snout for 950 standard silver. It was superfluous for the maker to use this mark in addition to the cock mark, but the marking system was a bit inconsistent during the Revolutionary period. This is a fairly rare mark, and I’m happy to see it.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Thanks very much, JayT. I have a few more French marks to post in the next couple of weeks so I appreciate your help.

N
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.

Best to post soon, as many will be on vacation in August far from their libraries, despite the pandemic.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Had a couple of days off and did some digging. I was unable to find very much information on François Joseph Meresse. He appears in the Paris citizen's registers of 1792 and 1793 as a silversmith, age 29 in both, and at 64 rue Quincampoix 64 and 55 Rue de Ponceau, respectively. He states that he was born in Cambrai, Nord (ca. 1763/64, based on his age, though I could find no corresponding baptismal record) and came to Paris in 1784. I also found an entry for him in a Paris marriage index (the actual record not surviving) to Marie Catherine Christophe on 22 brumaire an III [12 Nov 1794].
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Thank you, Blakstone, for your research which is always helpful and insightful.

N

Return to “French Silver”