N A F and Tower maker's mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lemecdutex

N A F and Tower maker's mark

Post by lemecdutex »

I have been trying for a long time to find who this maker is. From the other marks it looks like Paris, 1798-1809. I found the mark on the web, but it was listed as unknown maker. It'd sure be great if I could finally identify the maker of this mustard pot (that's missing the lid).

--Ron
JayT
contributor

Re: N A F and Tower maker's mark

Post by JayT »

Hello
You have read the date and place of manufacture - Paris, 1798-1809. There is another mark that could be a later recount mark, but is too blurry on my monitor to make out. The maker is Nicolas-Auguste Franckson the younger (jeune) working at 10 Quai des Orfèvres. Franckson made ecclesiastical and table silver. He first registered in 1801. His symbol was 2 superimposed towers (deux tours l’une sur l’autre). No end date is given, but he was mentioned in the Almanach Azur until 1821.

See Arminjon, v. I, no. 02700, p. 271.

Franckson the elder (aîné) was Denis-François Franckson, initials DFF, symbol a trumpet (une trompette). He made hollowware at 53 Quai de l’Horloge. He also first registered in 1801, and was mentioned in the Almanach Azur until 1818. The relationship, if any, between these 2 individuals isn’t clear.

See Arminjon, v. I, no. 00875, p. 118.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
lemecdutex

Post by lemecdutex »

That is extremely helpful! I really didn't think I'd be able to get this information.

One other thing, what is the name of the book you're referring to? I've looked for anything by Arminjon, but I don't think what I've found could possibly be what you're referring to. I definitely want to get it if I can.

Thanks so much,

--Ron
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

Here is the full reference:

Arminjon, Catherine et al. Dictionnaire des poinçons de fabricants d’ouvrages d’or et d’argent. V. I 1798-1838 and V. II 1838-1875. Paris, Imprimerie Nationale, 1991 and 1994. These volumes are out of print, and can cost €€€€ for the 2 volumes on the secondary market, when you can find them. Makers are arranged by first initial, thus Jean Dupont is listed under J. There are some anomalies, so it is best to check last initial too. There are indexes by last name, symbol, and address. Full info is given for each maker: dates, address, inventory number, successors, etc. The most frustrating aspect of this reference is the poor quality of the illustrations, which are photographs of the stamped mark. A third volume had been planned for marks registered after 1875, but as production costs were prohibitive, V. III is a searchable database on the French Ministry of Culture website. The same problem is found with poor quality photographs of the marks.

Hope this helps, and good luck in building your library.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Denis Francois Franckson died on 23 Dec 1830, age 70, widower of Marie Louise Varin, and Nicolas Auguste Franckson died on 13 Dec 1847, age 64, husband of Hugette Charlet, both in Paris (in the 12th and 9th arrondissements, respectively). There is very little information on their death records, but given the 23-year gap in their presumed dates of birth (ca 1760 and ca 1783), they were likely father and son or uncle and nephew.

Denis Francois Frankson was probably the son of Denis Frankson [sic], a Parisian silversmith during the ancien regime and who registered two marks, the first on 21 Jan 1765, the second on 6 Feb 1773.
lemecdutex

Post by lemecdutex »

I really appreciate that! You're right about the cost of those books! That will unfortunately have to wait, but I really would like to have it at some point, for sure! My other books on French marks have so far been fairly unhelpful.
JayT wrote:My pleasure to help.

Here is the full reference:

Arminjon, Catherine et al. Dictionnaire des poinçons de fabricants d’ouvrages d’or et d’argent. V. I 1798-1838 and V. II 1838-1875. Paris, Imprimerie Nationale, 1991 and 1994. These volumes are out of print, and can cost €€€€ for the 2 volumes on the secondary market, when you can find them. Makers are arranged by first initial, thus Jean Dupont is listed under J. There are some anomalies, so it is best to check last initial too. There are indexes by last name, symbol, and address. Full info is given for each maker: dates, address, inventory number, successors, etc. The most frustrating aspect of this reference is the poor quality of the illustrations, which are photographs of the stamped mark. A third volume had been planned for marks registered after 1875, but as production costs were prohibitive, V. III is a searchable database on the French Ministry of Culture website. The same problem is found with poor quality photographs of the marks.

Hope this helps, and good luck in building your library.
lemecdutex

Post by lemecdutex »

Thank you so much for all of this information! I've saved that for my records, and really appreciate having this now!
blakstone wrote:Denis Francois Franckson died on 23 Dec 1830, age 70, widower of Marie Louise Varin, and Nicolas Auguste Franckson died on 13 Dec 1847, age 64, husband of Hugette Charlet, both in Paris (in the 12th and 9th arrondissements, respectively). There is very little information on their death records, but given the 23-year gap in their presumed dates of birth (ca 1760 and ca 1783), they were likely father and son or uncle and nephew.

Denis Francois Frankson was probably the son of Denis Frankson [sic], a Parisian silversmith during the ancien regime and who registered two marks, the first on 21 Jan 1765, the second on 6 Feb 1773.

Return to “French Silver”