European silver ladle, 18 century? Can anyone help me with hallmarks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Reiner K

European silver ladle, 18 century? Can anyone help me with hallmarks?

Post by Reiner K »

Hi, can anyone identify/guess marks at this large ladle?
There are unknown hallmarks to me... I was told that this silver laddle was made in 18 century in France, but I doubt (about) it. I assume it's European origin but have no slightest idea in which (what) country it was made....

Does anyone know the maker of this ladle and year/century it was made in?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Reiner

JayT
contributor

Re: European silver ladle, 18 century? Can anyone help me with hallmarks?

Post by JayT »

Hello
Sometimes you should listen to what people tell you! The marks are legible, but very dirty.
Your ladle was made by Pierre-Nicolas Sommé in Paris in 1788. You have Sommé’s second mark of a crowned fleur-de-lys, two grains, initials PNS, and a hand holding a bunch of laurel leaves. Sommé had a long, distinguished career. Apprenticed in 1747 to Edme-Thomas Laurent, he transferred to Eloy Guérin in 1750. He registered his first mark on 17 July 1760, and this second mark on 3 September 1768. At the time your ladle was made he was on rue St. Eloi, where he stayed until 1793. He retired to Versailles, and died in the early 19th C. Examples of Sommé’s work can be found at the Louvre Museum in Paris.

See Nocq, v. 4, p. 29.

In addition to the maker’s mark you have a date letter mark indicating 1788 under a crowned P, a charge mark of a Crowned A, in use 1783-1789, a discharge mark of the same time period, and just for fun, a small assay mark. The latter is unusual to see.

As a bonus, the pattern of your ladle is called Uniplat, and you have a personalization of initials under a coronet of a marquis(?), although your photo of the coronet is not clear.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Reiner K

Post by Reiner K »

JayT, thank you very much for the info. It is much appreciated. Your remark that "Sometimes you should listen to what people tell you!" is absolutelly correct ;-), I surely should, but... the person who told me about French descent of that silver item wasn't quite sure about it. I've tried to find anything more in the internet but in vain, after a few hours I just gave up...
Everyday you learn new things :) Great forum, great people here. Thank you.

Regards
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.
You have a nice example of French 18thC flatware: it is well marked, and by a distinguished maker.
Enjoy your ladle!

Return to “French Silver”