Silver mount on a ceramic (Art nouveau era). Minerve mark but what about the other?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
antoinepiaz

Silver mount on a ceramic (Art nouveau era). Minerve mark but what about the other?

Post by antoinepiaz »

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find info on this mark, info which in turn may help to determine the maker of the ceramic. Any answer is really appreciated (purely investigative interest ;o) )

Additional info:
There's a Minerve mark as well (also, the ceramic is likely French)

JayT
contributor

Re: Silver mount on a ceramic (Art nouveau era). Minerve mark but what about the other?

Post by JayT »

The mark in a lozenge shaped reserve (shown upside down here) is the maker’s mark for M.S. & Cie, manufacturing silversmiths located in Paris at 24 rue Chapon. The company registered this mark on 1 March 1914. No end date is given.
The S stands for Soufflot as a last name, but no info is given about the first name M. the symbol is two hammers (deux marteaux).

Hope this helps.

See the French Ministry of Culture website for marks registered after 1878.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver mount on a ceramic (Art nouveau era). Minerve mark but what about the other?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Is ceramic signed ?
antoinepiaz

Post by antoinepiaz »

Wow, thanks a lot for identifying the mark! That's very helpful.

As for the ceramic mark, here are a few examples.

And personally, I'm wondering about this mark since 2011! Here's a question I posted in 2011 regarding the same mark (meanwhile, I met other collectors who have ceramics with the same unidentified mark... Nobody knows!) : http://placedelours.superforum.fr/t6242 ... -et-cuivre

Some have galvanoplast mounts, but some others (like the one I asked about in the current thread) have nice silver mounts... Mystery!

Again thanks a lot!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome!

Return to “French Silver”