Probably french? hallmarks on silver and ivory letter opener
Hallmarks are really small.
any help identifying is welcome

Thank you!

JayT
contributor

Re: Probably french? hallmarks on silver and ivory letter opener

Post by JayT »

Yes, your letter opener was made in Paris after 1838 as seen by the boar’s head mark used for small objects made of at least 800 standard silver.
As for the maker, we would need to get a clearer image of the initials. Perhaps you could clean out the mark and try again, or at least tell us your best guess for the initials.
Regards
Feelgood

Post by Feelgood »

This is the best I could do, using an usb microscope. The marks are small, see photo 2: units are um (1000 um=1mm)

Feelgood

Post by Feelgood »

JayT wrote:Yes, your letter opener was made in Paris after 1838 as seen by the boar’s head mark used for small objects made of at least 800 standard silver.
As for the maker, we would need to get a clearer image of the initials. Perhaps you could clean out the mark and try again, or at least tell us your best guess for the initials.
Regards
Thank You JayT!
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Oh boy, I’m well aware of the size of French maker’s marks. Their size is regulated, so will be the same for any maker.

Your new photos aren’t speaking to me at all. I can’t even tell the first initial: L, E, F? Is the second initial C,G or even B? The symbol in your first set of photos looked like a footed glass, but like an anchor in the second set. Who knows?

When looking through dictionaries or databases of French 19thC marks, the first initial is crucial, and the symbol helps. Without that first initial you’ll be hard pressed to find the maker.

At this point all I can suggest is you consult the French Ministry of Culture database for Paris marks registered after 1878 - you might get lucky! If your maker registered before 1875, I might help if you can give me initials.

http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/public/mist ... 4%24%2534P

Return to “French Silver”