Need help with maker ML Cie

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Kirils
contributor

Need help with maker ML Cie

Post by Kirils »

Hello. I have this set with an unknown maker. What it looks like, it is ML and Cie with leaf in a middle, probably a maker, and E. Millet is a shop in Carcassonne, where it was sold. Any information on this maker? Thank you in Advance.

PS: I already saw this post, but it does not look like a bay leaf, and it is with Cie: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53117&p=167377&hilit=ML+Cie#p167377

JayT
contributor

Re: Need help with maker ML Cie

Post by JayT »

Hello
Thanks for your clear pictures. The maker is not from Paris, but a French province, as seen by the symbol (différent) next to Minerva’s forehead. Unfortunately I can’t quite decipher this squiggle, so can’t tell you where your service was made.
However, the retailer Millet jewellers has been in business at Carcassonne since 1878, according to their Facebook page. Started by Eugène Millet, now operated by Vincent Millet. This gives some indication of the age of your service.
Suggest you contact Millet for help with your question, if all else fails. They might have a record of their supplier, or know immediately who M.L.& Cie is.
Good luck in your research, and please let us know what you discover if no one here can help.
Kirils
contributor

Post by Kirils »

JayT wrote:Hello
Thanks for your clear pictures. The maker is not from Paris, but a French province, as seen by the symbol (différent) next to Minerva’s forehead. Unfortunately I can’t quite decipher this squiggle, so can’t tell you where your service was made.
However, the retailer Millet jewellers has been in business at Carcassonne since 1878, according to their Facebook page. Started by Eugène Millet, now operated by Vincent Millet. This gives some indication of the age of your service.
Suggest you contact Millet for help with your question, if all else fails. They might have a record of their supplier, or know immediately who M.L.& Cie is.
Good luck in your research, and please let us know what you discover if no one here can help.
Hello JayT. Thank you very much for your reply. I have checked all of other Minervas marks on this set and it is not a symbol. It is number 1. That should be Paris then. I have contacted retailer Millet, and now waiting for their answer. I will let you know if there will be any answer.
JayT
contributor

Re: Need help with maker ML Ci

Post by JayT »

Hello
Thanks for the update.
Given what we assume to be the age of manufacture, this mark should appear in the French Ministry of Culture database for Paris marks registered after 1878, but no luck for M.L. with an ivy leaf symbol. Nor does the maker appear in Arminjon v. I or II.
I hope the retailer will help you clarify this mystery.
Regards
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

As a point of clarification, in the first standard Minerva the assay office code is under her chin; the "1" is always in front of her forehead. These positions are reversed in the second standard Minerva. It is also occasionally possible to differentiate Paris from the Provinces by the bigorne marks; in Paris the insects are depicted from the side, in the Provinces, they are seen from above. Given that the maker doesn't appear in any of the Paris resources, it might be worth cleaning the Minerva marks and taking a second look under her chin.

Return to “French Silver”