Paris 1737/1738 spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
legrandmogol
contributor

Paris 1737/1738 spoon

Post by legrandmogol »

Any help would be appreciated. I can make out that it is from Paris and dates from 1737/1738 but I am unsure of the maker. It appears to be an IB over LG with a chalice or goblet between them markers mark.

JayT
contributor

Re: Paris 1737/1738 spoon

Post by JayT »

Hello
Such a shame that the marks on your attractive spoon in the Filet/Coquille pattern can’t be seen properly: blurred and dirty. You don’t do it justice.

You have correctly identified the year and place of manufacture.

The maker was Jean-Baptiste Leguerinière, mark the initials JBLG under a crowned fleur de lys, 2 grains, and a pedestal table (un guéridon) as symbol. He first registered a mark on 14 August 1727, residing at rue de la Savaterie. By 7 October 1740 he was working on the Pont au Change. He is no longer listed 1748. Thus your spoon was made at his first address.

Leguerinière was the son of a silversmith of the same name, who worked from 20 January 1717 until his death in 1748, when his widow took over the business until 1751. Father, widow and son all worked on the Pont au Change, presumably together, and they ceased activity at about the same time.

See Nocq, V. III, p. 87.

Hope this helps.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you so much for your help. I did polish the piece but I refuse to dip pieces of this age and I try to leave tarnish in all the right places. It was much worse when I bought it. Also, a lot of the problem is my poor attempt at a picture. In-person, it is easy to read. This was the best pic out of 20 sadly.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.
Would never suggest dipping any piece of silver, but some polish on a cotton bud and a bit of elbow grease does wonders for cleaning out marks.
Enjoy your spoon!

Return to “French Silver”