Identification of this French Buckle

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Identification of this French Buckle

Post by SilverK »

....and here we have a French buckle, made c1830 in Paris. The maker's mark isn't 100% clear, but the first initial is an 'L', the second may be a 'B'. The symbol could be interpreted as a water cup on a long handle. Please can anyone help identify this maker?

Given the number of balls on the Coronet, am I correct in thinking this was owned by a Count? Actually, using Wikipedia, it appears to have two balls too many. Maybe it isn't a Count's Coronet or maybe the engraver just couldn't count (pun intended!).

Looking forward to any help,

Silverk.

JayT
contributor

Re: Identification of this French Buckle

Post by JayT »

Your buckle was made of 800 standard silver between 1819-1838 as shown by the head of Rafhaël facing left in an oval reserve. The second mark is blurred on my monitor, but should be the guaranty mark.
The maker’s mark appears to be that of Louis Balthazard, maker of smalls (la petite orfèvrerie) and tableware (la garniture de table). He worked in Paris at several addresses: 193 rue St-Martin beginning in 1810-1811 when he registered his mark, then at 172 rue St-Martin from 18 November 1823 until 31 January 1833 when his mark was erased.
Based on the working dates of the maker, your buckle can be dated 1823-1833.

Hope this helps.

See Arminjon V. I, no. 0225, p. 231.
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi JayT,

That's splendid, thanks very much indeed! Am I right that the symbol is a long-handled water dipper?

Best regards,

Silverk.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

The symbol is called une hotte - a hood - either a garment or an exhaust hood over a stove. Looks like a garment to me, like Santa Claus wears, but maybe I’m just thinking seasonally!
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Seriously, I would never have guessed! They didn't go in for realism very much, did they!

Thanks again,

Silverk.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.

Return to “French Silver”