Help requested with found coin snuff box?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
marc70

Help requested with found coin snuff box?

Postby marc70 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello, I have found a 5 franc pill or snuff box dated 1833 during renovation of a 1901 home in the south of England. We were uncovering a boarded up fire place and this was there. No idea when the last renovation was on the house. Tried doing a search but cannot find anything like it nor can I find these hallmarks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Marc

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help requested with found coin snuff box?

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi Marc,

Welcome to the Forum.

We will need to see close-up images of the marks to reveal the identity of the maker. I appreciate how small these marks may be, but the information contained within them is vital.

Trev.

marc70

Postby marc70 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Hello. Wow, I took closer photos and I cannot believe there are marks inside the diamond and other mark! I had no idea! I hope my pictures are good enough, this is all new to me but so exciting. Thanks so much, Marc

vervene

Postby vervene » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:30 am

Hello,

The crab hallmark is for French 800 purity silver since 1838. I doesn't found anything for the silversmith (crown between SR)

Joerg
contributor

Postby Joerg » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 am

The coin is a French 5 Francs coin minted in Paris (mint mark "A"). It weights 25 grams with a fineness of 0.900. This is the monetary standard of France from the Frech revolution until the End of WW1 (1918). It is also the standard of the Latin Monetary Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Monetary_Union

Such 5Fr coins were minted in large numbers and curculated in all countries of the LMU freely until the First World War. Of course political systems changed and so the face design changed, but coins of former political systems were readily accepted. The coin here is well circulated. It must have run for a long time. At least a few decades. So I would not date the making of the box too early. Maybe around 1900, maybe even after 1918 when these coins were removed from circulation.
This as an attempt for dating the making of the box.

I see in your pictures the inside of the box has cupric acetate. And some letters and marks oxidized in it. What is this? Cand this help us dating the time of placing the box more precise?

Kind regards

Jörg

marc70

Postby marc70 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:55 am

vervene wrote:Hello,

The crab hallmark is for French 800 purity silver since 1838. I doesn't found anything for the silversmith (crown between SR)

Thank you so much for the information, vervene. Kind Regards, Marc

Return to “French Silver”