Looking for maker & age on Little French Cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rumtrail

Looking for maker & age on Little French Cup

Post by rumtrail »

Good Day - I'm attempting to identify the maker, age, and purpose of this little cup. It stands 2 3/4" tall and has the French 1st standard mark (Minerva 1) with a bigornes countermark. I believe the cup was turned. The photos are of the cup and of what I believe to be the maker's mark. It is a five pointed flower and the letters on either side appear to be C M. The C could also be a G and the M could also be an H or an N. Any significance to the monogram? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, the maker is most likely C. Murat, Paris, Rue de Turbigo 89. The date is hard to say. My guess: first half of the 20th century. Probably a beaker. Best wishes, Bahner
gentlemanadventurer

Post by gentlemanadventurer »

Hi rumtrail,
The French website lists only one CM with a flower. It is une fleur de lys (a lily flower). This mark was granted to Camille Monot on July 27, 1895. His (?) workshop was on the Rue Charlot Paris 75. It is not recorded when the mark was withdrawn.
There is no CH with a flower symbol.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hi all, the mark of Murat (C and M, plus a flower with two leaves, actually the flower of a blooming mulberry-bush, 'mure' is French for mulberry) looking pretty much like Your mark, was published by 'Paris Bijoux' in 1970 in their dictionary of marks. So I rather think Murat is the one. Best wishes, Bahner

Return to “French Silver”