French Silver maker please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
touqeer

French Silver maker please

Post by touqeer »

Hello can any one explain the maker of this silver 950 minerva Knife???
thanks
http://i42.tinypic.com/16706ye.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )

JayT
contributor

Re: French Silver maker please

Post by JayT »

Here are some explanations: first mark is the Minerva head mark in an octagonal reserve. This is the French mark in use after 1838 for 950 standard silver. Second mark in a lozenge is a maker’s mark for the cutler Vital-Antoine Cardeilhac. Initials VC separated by a crowned cross of the Legion of Honour with a crescent below. Vital-Antoine Cardeilhac came to Paris in 1802 and registered his first marks in 1817 and 1820. They were struck off the register in 1851. Therefore your knife can be dated between 1838 and 1851. Vital-Antoine was succeeded by his son Armand-Edouard Cardeilhac and various other family members until 1951 when the company was purchased by Christofle. The Carheilhac firm made high-quality, well-designed cutlery and silver that won numerous prizes at international exhibits over the years. Third mark is too blurred to read on my monitor. Fourth mark is a “bigorne” found opposite to where the Minerva head mark is struck. It would be helpful to see the whole object and to have a description of where the marks are placed.
touqeer

Post by touqeer »

OKY
the minerva and the crowned cross of the Legion of Honour with a crescent below with VC are on the grip of the knife

Then the same Minerva Hallmark and the fourth Picture are on the front side of Knife Blade or klingen as it can be seen on picture also.........
and the last hallmark is on the opposite side of the blade.........
so on blade of knife 3 hallmarks and on grip 2.....
is it possible that Blade is also of silver as it looks like so???
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Yes, if blade has Minerva head mark it is silver. Silver-bladed knives are usually fruit or dessert knives. If you post a picture of the knife and its length we could see if it looks like a fruit / dessert knife. The mark in a lozenge on the blade is also a maker's mark, maybe the same maker as the handle, maybe not.
touqeer

Post by touqeer »

I have had posted pic before also but was big and edited by admin
here is again i have made it small for the forum .......

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

This appears to be a fruit / dessert knife. They usually measure 19-21 cm in length as opposed to dinner knives that are longer and usually have a steel blade. Hope this provides the explanation you are seeking.

Return to “French Silver”