Soissons sur Saone or Hanau?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zilverik
contributor

Soissons sur Saone or Hanau?

Post by zilverik »

Hi,

This creamer is only marked with a mark that resembles the mark of Soissons sur Saone. But there is also a Hanau-mark with SHS in this form. So, it is probably Hanau because the other marks aren't there. However, this mark doesn't look like the Hanau mark that much. This mark has the two grains and the fleur the lys. So, what will it be?

Regards,

Zilverik

2209patrick
co-admin

Re: Soissons sur Saone or Hanau?

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Zilverik.

Looks similar to one of Storck & Sinsheimer of Hanua marks.

http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi Pat,

Thank you for your reaction. You are right that there is a similarity with the Hanau mark, but - as I see it - it is different. I don't agree with you. The Hanau mark has a fleur the lys above and not a crown as it should be (what my creamer has and the "good" mark). The Hanau mark has a 6 star and it should be a 5 star (what my creamer has and the "good" mark). The Hanau mark misses the two dots (what my creamer has and the "good" mark). I agree that this creamer is suspicious because the maker mark and the recharge mark are missing and maybe it is Hanau. However, for me it isn't this mark of Storck & Sinsheimer.

Regards,

Zilverik
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

I've seen this mark several times and hove no doubt that it's Storck & Sinsheimer: notice the little lowercase "t" after the first "S". S&S also used a five-pointed star with a fleur-de-lys but no pellets, and another one just like it with a six-pointed star: neither of these, though, had the little "t".
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi Pat and blakstone,

The little "t" is indeed not in the original mark. This is obviously a variant of the Storck&Sinsheimer mark. It's sometimes hard to depart from a suspicious piece. I always had my doubts, but I liked the little creamer and I used it many times for a drop of water in my whiskey. Now it's time to let it go.
Thank you very much for your information.

Regards,

Zilverik

Return to “French Silver”