Minerva with M&D maker mark ,Needing help please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
donna98225

Minerva with M&D maker mark ,Needing help please

Post by donna98225 »

I'm needing help on the maker mark (who it maybe), how old it maybe, and exactly what it is for, can anyone help me? I will really appriciate it. Donna

I have the following :
X
X
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Matin & Dejean (Charles-Denis-Noël Martin & Joseph-Philippe-Adolphe Dejean), of 24 parvis Notre-Dame, Paris. The mark was registered 23 Nov 1837 and cancelled 2 Sep 1846.

It's a pair of wine & water flagons with a basin. Matin & Dejean specialized in table silver, so it's probably not an ecclesiastical set, but rather for secular use. You don't give the size; some smaller sets were used with rosewater at the dinner table for guests to rinse their fingers between courses. (The sets were replaced by finger bowls around this time.)

Nice set - period Louis-Philippe! A good silversmith could (and should!) copy and repair that missing lid.
donna98225

Post by donna98225 »

Thank you so much.. The measurement on the ewers are 8"x 3" to top of the handle, the boat is 12" x 8".It is gold guild. I have been wondering and doing so much research trying to find out, and would only come up blank. Again, thank you. Donna

Return to “French Silver”