Help with Makers Mark!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joecamello

Help with Makers Mark!

Post by joecamello »

Hi

I recently found this french .950 silver milkmaid. But I can't find anything on the makers mark. Can anyone hlep with the maker, an approx date?

Thanks In Advance,
Juan
http://www.geocities.com/juanben30/4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(admin photo edit - image too large - insert as link or thumbnail only - see Posting Requirements)
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Well, neither of the marks you show is a maker's mark. The Minerva head is the French first standard (.950) silver mark in use from 1838, and the fancy "E" is actually a Belgian import mark in use 1831-1868. So you have a French piece which spent some time in neighboring Belgium. The French maker's mark should be in the form of a lozenge (rhombus); these can be very small and hard to find; they usually contain initials and some sort of pictorial device. Look carefully and let us know what you find.
joecamello

Thank you for their prompt answer

Post by joecamello »

Thank you for their prompt answer. This is the stamp like the one that you say. Regrettably this a little wornout. Here I also go up picture of the piece. For any type of help that he can give me. I will thank it to him very much.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here it is properly oriented, doesn't help much, but I think it is a lion rampant, something circular (wreath, tambourine?) in his paw, mystery letter above head, possibly letter "E" below.
jgl
contributor

précision

Post by jgl »

Patronyme M.O. : Erenard
Prénom (Etat civil) ; Adolphe
Initiales : A.E.
Profession : Fabricant bijoutier
Lieu d'activité : 75 Paris
Adresse de l'atelier : 64 rue Réaumur
N° de garantie : A8840
N° de préfecture : pas de numéro