French silversmith Maker Mark ID needed

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gtibs

French silversmith Maker Mark ID needed

Post by gtibs »

I was wondering if anyone could help me with several spoons brought back from France after WWI? They depict each of the major battles in which Canadian soldiers saw action.

Noted is Minerva with the numeral 2 lower right field, which I assume means .800 silver. There is a diamond with A & D, with some manner of design between.

The spoon pictured commemorates the battle at Lille, in block print on shield at top, and in script on spoon.

Any information as to when and where abd by whom these spoons were made would be appreciated?

carling
co-admin

Post by carling »

A French government site lists 44 silversmiths/jewellers with the initials AD

Go to this page and click the Rechercher button.

Unfortunately not all marks are pictured there and the symbol between the two letters in your picture isn't clear or it might be possible to narrow it down. A knowledge of French would of course be also helpful.

Regards/carling
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

I've handled a number of French souvenir spoons over the years, in both silver and silverplate, almost all being of a similar design. Have seen this mark before and if memory serves correctly, it would be Albert Deflon (registered 1907-20), with the symbol being a gabion.

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/forts/glossary/gabion.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

~Cheryl
gtibs

Post by gtibs »

Thanks very much for the info. Really appreciate the quick response. -Gordon
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: French silversmith Maker Mark ID needed

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello again, I’ve been brought back to our “French Quarter” by a little spoon I just bought. When I say small I mean small as it is less than 7 centimeters long and I think my images could go with this post. I assume my spoon is a salt spoon and it carries a Minerva mark with a 1 for 950 silver.

Although I am responding in this particular post, I did not at first think my spoon’s “AD” maker was ”Albert Deflon”. I was confused by the insect mark under struck to the Minerva mark.

I thought “bigorne” marking was a 19th century system and ”Albert Deflon’s” dates are suggested as 1907-20. Further research disproved my belief and indicated “bigorne” marking was continued to 1984. If my spoon had been British I would have guessed it was in the “Art Nouveau” style and be from the late Victorian-Edwardian period at the turn of the 20th century. This adds even more evidence that my “AD” mark is that of ”Albert Deflon” and the thick line between the 2 letters represents the “wicker gabion” pictorial part of his mark.
I do not think the gabion is the “fat” kind you can currently get in your local garden centre containing rocks for an ornamental feature, but is a narrower type and just thick enough to act as shot protection in a military context. Anyway please forum is my little spoon a product from ”Albert Deflon”?

Fishless

Return to “French Silver”