help with Cardailhac Sauciere

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silvy

help with Cardailhac Sauciere

Post by Silvy »

Hello,
Ihave two questions about this sauciere.Its marked cardeilhac,but the Cardeilhac hallmark EC is missing. also the minerva is missing on the plate.The sauciere itself has the minerve -Hallmark.Did cardeilhac mark only with his name?----Next question is .what does the hallmark on the second photo(i think its called begorne) mean .Its also on the back of the plate.
thanks for answers, Silvy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Silvy,
The bigorne was used as a countermark for the Minerva standard poincon, the Minerva should be exactly where the bigorne is, but on the opposite side of the piece of silver. Of course, there should also be a Cardeilhac's EC in lozenge maker's mark, somewhere on the piece. These saucieres and underplates are often bolted together, have you separated the two parts, to examine the unseen areas?
Regards, Tom
Silvy

Post by Silvy »

Hi Tom and all the other members,
after searching again and again I found now these marks:at the sauciere the mark of Vayrat ,who worked at Paris 1840 to 1849.Also on the sauciere the Minerva. On the plate I found the two marks (photo) Cardeilhac and bigorne, and at least two more marks.One near the screw in the middle of the plate,very difficult to find,its the minerva,and one extremly hidden on top of the plate in an ornament,its again Veyrat.
So what is the mark cardeilhac for???Did cardeilhac trade with the silver of veyrat? Perhaps you know more.
thanks for answers---
silvy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Silvy,
In this case, Vayrat would be the maker and Cardeilhac the retailer.
The little I know of Cardeilhac is that they were (are?) a highly respected firm that produced some exceptional pieces during the Art Nouveau and Deco eras. Perhaps another member can fill us in with more background on the firm?

Regards, Tom

Return to “French Silver”