French Silver spoon from paris 1783 How made it ????

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mike133

French Silver spoon from paris 1783 How made it ????

Post by Mike133 »

Supposedly this was a French silver spoon from 1783-1789. I have been told it should have belonged to the fam, de Faÿ la Tour Maubourg but I can find no evidence for this claim so I need the help of the experts

dognose
Site Admin

Re: French Silver spoon from paris 1783 How made it ????

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you post a sharper image of the marks?

Trev.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
I’m not really sure what your question is. Do you want info about the maker of your spoon, or the owner?
If it is the maker, your images are too blurred to decipher.
If it is the owner, please see the wikipedia entry for de Faÿ de la Tour Maubourg, a French marquis and later baron, who had a distinguished military career under the Ancien Régime, the Empire, and the Restoration.
This is a marriage crest; on the left you have the armorial of de Faÿ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_de ... r-Maubourg

Regards
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

P.S. In any case, the date of manufacture of your spoon is after 1798.
Mike133

Post by Mike133 »

JayT wrote:Hello
I’m not really sure what your question is. Do you want info about the maker of your spoon, or the owner?
If it is the owner, please see the wikipedia entry for de Faÿ de la Tour Maubourg, a French marquis and later baron, who had a distinguished military career under the Ancien Régime, the Empire, and the Restoration.

Regards
The thing is that I like to know, Who made the spoons and what year, but also who they belong. You said that the crest was a marriage crest. The one of the left I had some what encoded. But to the Right is very Hard. But I think if I got the year and makers mark it could help me in search og the historie behind the spoons.
Mike133

Post by Mike133 »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Can you post a sharper image of the marks?

Trev.
I have tried to clean them so this is as good as it gets, sorry
Mike133

Post by Mike133 »

Mike133 wrote:

Regards
The thing is that I like to know, Who made the spoons and what year, but also who they belong. You said that the crest was a marriage crest. The one of the left I had some what encoded. But to the Right is very Hard. But I think if I got the year and makers mark it could help me in search og the historie behind the spoons.
Further more when I look at the years og married in the Faÿ familiy I think the numbers dosn't ad up. Therefore the date and make is quit important
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
I regret the image of the maker’s is mark is too unfocused for me to decipher. It needs to be as sharp as the photo of the crest.
I can tell you that the lozenge-shaped reserve indicates manufacture after 1798, and the silver standard and guarantee marks are for Paris 1819-1838. Without a better photo, this is the most that can be done.
Good luck in your ongoing research on this item.
See:
https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html
Mike133

Post by Mike133 »

I regret the image of the maker’s is mark is too unfocused for me to decipher. It needs to be as sharp as the photo of the crest.
I can tell you that the lozenge-shaped reserve indicates manufacture after 1798, and the silver standard and guarantee marks are for Paris 1819-1838. Without a better photo, this is the most that can be done.
Good luck in your ongoing research on this item.
See:
https://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_marks.html
I have now found out who had the spoons.
It's from Victor de Fay la tour Maubourg and Petronille van Rijssel. They married in Utrecht in the year 1804.
There is No doubt, there is proof from the churchbook and the crest of Van Rijssel.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Thanks for the update on the owner of your spoons.
As there seem to be more than 1 spoon, perhaps you could get an image from one of them that would allow identification of the maker?

Return to “French Silver”