is this french and 18th century

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
blonde_minx

is this french and 18th century

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi

Any help would be much appreciated, could this silver shell shape or hand shape hallmark be a French Mark, i would estimate about 1780 but this is just a guess

Thanks Mandy

AG2012
contributor

Re: is this french and 18th century

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Cannot be French if there is only one mark. Looks like lacquer,rather than enamel, just guessing / Japan.
Regards
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
Its tortoiseshell

Mandy
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
Thanks AG2012 for your thoughts, i dont however believe it to be from japan or china, i have seen other boxes like this but more European so was hoping someone may have come a cross this mark before, i will keep my fingers crossed
Thanks
Mandy
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
I have been searching and found this mark, i think ive solved it, this is a French discharge mark and dates to 1756-1762. This mark was renewed at every change of the tax-farmer (fermier général). Different marks were used according to the size (large, medium, or small work) and type of the objects (flatware of holloware) on which they were applied.
So it does appear to be french.
Any thoughts or opinions on what ive found would be appreciated

Mandy

blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
I have just found 2 other marks inside the top, i will try and get some pictures later today, one seems to be a V with a crown and another mark ...

THE MARK OF "MAISON COMMUNE" (POINCON DE COMMOUNAUTE or JURANDE)

This mark had the form of a letter topped by a crown. Used since the late 15th century to warrant silver fineness these marks were changed every year following the alphabetical order. From 1784 was used the letter "P" with the last two figures of the year. Others marks were added to the main mark to distinguish ancient objects reissued for sale, pieces restored or exempt from tax.

Mandy
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hope this is clear enough

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
The pyramid-shape is a Paris charge mark for small objects, in use from 1756-1762, and the shell shape is a discharge mark for the same period. The crowned V is a date letter mark for 1760. Therefore these marks concord. The fourth mark of a crowned fleur-de-lys with 2 pellets is the maker’s mark, which unfortunately is too blurred for me to make out any initials. If you could see initials, I might be able to help you identify the maker.
Regards
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi
Thank you for the information i will try and see if i can make out what the intials might be
Mandy
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome.
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Hi

I have tried to work the intials out but seem to rubbed for me to make out what they could be, ive added a couple of hopefully clearer photos, its really hard to see what they may be. Its a long shot but you never know.

Mandy

JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
I regret I can’t decipher this maker’s mark.
Good luck in your research!
blonde_minx

Post by blonde_minx »

Thanks for your help JayT,

You gave me much more information than i thought i would get, thanks to you i know it was crafted in paris in 1760. The makers mark is just to rubbed to make out any initials. but im more than happy, its fascinating to think this was crafted in the time of Louis XV, just amazing

Regards
Mandy
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

My pleasure to help.

Return to “French Silver”