Identification of this French Sifter

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK

Identification of this French Sifter

Postby SilverK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:21 am

I have this rather nice French sifter, but I can't identify the maker nor the approximate date.

The marks clearly show it was made in Paris and has a purity of 0.950. The maker's mark is poorly stamped with half the mark missing and is very small, so I can't read it properly. I think it starts with VETS and doesn't really match VEYRAT shown on the forum's French marks, but I am probably wrong, as usual.

I would be very grateful if a member of the forum could identify the maker and approx date.

It also has two Minerva stamps, each with a different bigorne. Could someone explain why there are two Minervas (separate parts separately assayed, for example) and how I should interpret the two bigornes.

Many thanks,

Silverk.

vervene

Re: Identification of this French Sifter

Postby vervene » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Hello, it's Gustave Veyrat, silversmith between 1894 and 1911in Paris

SilverK

Postby SilverK » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 am

That's splendid! Many thanks indeed.

Silverk.

blakstone
contributor

Postby blakstone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:48 pm

I don’t think Gustave Veyrat is correct; the French Architectural & Patrimony website describes his 1894-1911 mark as “GV with a wineglass”. The mark here, though worn, is almost certainly “VEYRAT” with two stars: the mark of Jean Francois Veyrat (ca 1786-1868) and his son and successor Augustin Pierre Adolphe Veyrat (1809-1883), registered in 1831. There is no recorded cancellation date for the mark, but it was still in use until at least the 1880s (and probably later) by A. Veyrat & Fils: Augustin and his son Francois Augustin Veyrat. They lived and worked in the 10th arrondissement in Paris on rue du Malte, later Chateau d’Eau.

Gustave Veyrat – whose full name was Gustave Veyrat-Masson - was born in Paris in the 19th arrondissement on 26 Mar 1869, the son of Emmanuel Veyrat-Masson & Philomene Augustine Cochois. His home and shop were at 7 rue du Perche in the 3rd arrondissement, and he was not, as far as I can tell, related to the more prominent Veyrat family of silversmiths.

dognose
Site Admin

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Return to “French Silver”