Is it okay to buy unmarked Hanau silver?

Do not post mark questions here.
AllSeasons

Is it okay to buy unmarked Hanau silver?

Post by AllSeasons »

I'm considering buying an unmarked item that is very much in the Hanau style. The seller also swears by the item, as it came down through his family. However, without any marks, it could still be risky, in my humble opinion. Were most Hanau items marked? I read somewhere that some items that were exact replicas of older items were not marked, probably for good reason, as they could be considered forgeries. The item in question is a smaller piece in the form of a goblet (without the insert). For reference, it looks similar to this Georg Roth goblet I posted earlier, but from different seller. I don't believe it's a replica of anything. Did Hanau makers also omit marks for pieces like this? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
gsmoggy

Re: Is it okay to buy unmarked Hanau silver?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Allseasons

I am sure there are many different opinions on buying unmarked items (Hanau or other styles )
In my opinion ,naturally marked items (if marks right) always better.
Although saying that ,Having confidence in your own judgement of the quality of the item ,after some experience of handling marked items,you should have a gut feeling if it is right or not.
There are many reasons why things are not marked (we are mostly guessing the reason)

One of my best boxes is not marked,in my opinion the workmanship is spectacular ,fully engraved inside and out (posted on this forum ,see general questions, re engraving question)
many opinions about the country it was made in,about six different countries mentioned, Italian made maybe?

I buy the article not the marks ,if I feel the quality is there.

I have re posted images ,so it is easier for you.
Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi again Allseasons

Not sure if you have seen my post in German Silver,Re 1944 London assay Office mark ,on rubbed mark on Hanau box?

Although very little of the mark is left (as I said in my post ,i feel it was taken off on purpose ,during war time (not to be known as a German box)
my theory (not sure if I am correct ,the year makes it possible)
Badly rubbed or worn marks (could nearly be classed as unmarked)

The seller felt it was an English box,I did say to him it was a German ,(Hanau )box,which it is in my opinion.

again I felt the quality was there ,to purchase it. Not worrying about the rubbed marks.

Regards Guido.
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you, Guido!

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “General Questions”