Berthold Muller maker or retailer?

Do not post mark questions here.
gsmoggy

Berthold Muller maker or retailer?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members

I am curious to know if items marked BM and English hallmarks for Berthold Muller ,are regarded as made by him? or were these items made in Hanau by other makers and he was the retailer? In England for other companies?
I am assuming the other makers mark would also be there ,if he was only the retailer.

In other words are there pieces bearing both marks? BM and and maker eg Roth ,Neresheimer etc.

Regards Guido.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Berthold Muller maker or retailer?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Müller seems to have been an importer of German (mainly), Austrian and Dutch silver and it is very likely that he was not a silversmith himself nor was his company directly involved in silversmithing. His BM mark and the BHM mark of his son certainly do appear on silver with Hanau marks, particularly those of Neresheimer & Sohne for whom his business was probably the sole British agent.

Phil
gsmoggy

Re: Berthold Muller maker or retailer?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Phil
Many thanks for your reply and comments.
I feel you are correct about him not being a maker,I could not find any info under makers section about him.
It is always a bit strange when the experts on the Antiques roadshow ,say about pieces with his marks, that he was the maker.
Thanks again for clearing that up. It is interesting how often retailers and makers marks get confused.

Regards Guido.

Return to “General Questions”